What About Installing .Net Framework in Windows 2K

Monroe

Just would like to know the Pros and Cons of installing .NET Framework v1 and v2.0 in Windows 2000. Is it recommended? ... and also, what about MS Silverlight ? Any information about putting these two items on a Windows 2K computer would be appreciated. .... thanks

Edited by duffy98

You only need .NET framework if you use a program that requires it. I wouldn't install it unless I really needed to. It's a lot of bloat. As for Silverlight, only videos on microsoft.com use them and when they do, half the time they provide a media player version. Silverlight was a failed attempt to compete with Adobe Flash.

OK ... thanks for the information. I knew a lot of people considered it "bloat" from discussions in the Windows 9x forum ... I never installed it fully on my 98SE machines ... just the 1.1 version. The "Silverlight" thing is new to me ... when I went to the IRS web site to see about doing my taxes for free ... they said I couldn't proceed since I didn't have "Silverlight" installed on my computer. That surprised me a little. I was using a "User Agent" to get over the Windows 98SE check but Silverlight did me in !

There are many programs that require .NET Framework so to avoid compatibility issues I'd recommend installing at least .NET 2.0 with Service Pack 2.

In case of older versions (or unofficial .NET 3.5 SP1 by BlackWingCat) I'd say don't install them unless you have an application which clearly says that it requires one of them.

According to mdgx's site, one software that needs net framework is Sun Java. The current version 6 needs net framework to install.

I know that the 5x version of Sun Java (even update 22, the last 5x version) does NOT need net to install.

I agree that you should not install net if you don't have any software that needs it. It adds hundreds of entries to the registry. Plus you can't be attacked through any known or unknown vulnerabilities in net if you don't have it installed.

As far as Satanlight ;) oops I mean Silverlight it contacts MS and sends them God knows what information even when it's not being used. Practically spyware. I'd avoid it unless I absolutely had to have it for an app and there was no alternative.

I'm glad to read (comment by -x- above) that it has already failed.

Edited by the xt guy

As far as I know and from my experience I can say that Java JRE6 Update 24 (the newest one) does not need .NET Framework to install, at least on Win2K.

Edited by tomasz86