Multiple BCDs with WinPE 3.0

nbartels

I am a new member, but I have been browsing your forum for several years now. I am not at all new to imaging or using WinPE, however I am stumped now...

I have found the info about having multiple BCDs (Boot/BCD and Test/BCD) but it all seems to be for WinPE 2.0. I can edit the bootmgr.exe, but when I edit the pxeboot.0 file, I can not find a reference to bootmgr.exe. This causes the machine to use the bootmgr.exe and BCD from the Boot folder instead of my Test folder.

Hopefully I am just failing at operating the Google... Thanks in advance!

Nick

Actually I'm nowhere near a usable machine at the moment and unable to inspect the binaries in question. But I'm fairly sure I've done this in the past. Should be a unicode string if I'm not mistaken. Cannot remember exactly but maybe I used an older pxeboot.0 (Vista based). Assuming you are network booting your nt6.x WinPE. If not, go directly for bootmgr.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it. You are correct, I am network booting. Is there any difference between the pxeboot.0 file from Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server?

Thanks again

Nick

OK so I just got home and able to verify the stuff. I was slightly wrong. For the record, pxeboot.0 is renamed pxeboot.n12 and it does not matter which version you use. I just modified the version from Windows 7 (6.1.7600.16385) and it worked just fine. However it was not a unicode string. It's an ascii string and there is just 1 such string (bootmgr.exe) inside it, so you cannot miss it. But before you can use with modified Boot\bcd paths you must deactivate some security concerning bootmgr.exe. Either put nointegritychecks on in your bcd store for the bootmgr entry, or make the hack directly on the binary by following the instruction somewhere near the end of the first post in this thread; http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/106861-how-change-boot-animation-windows-7-a.html

At VA 421EC5 change 7416 to 9090

Joakim