Which way to go

xpJohnson

Well it has been 2 yrs since I have had to make a XP install and not sure with all the stuff out there these days is the best way to go. Back then I used xable and was happy with it. I also included .net, ie7 at the time and wmp11.

I have looked at the other threads here talking about the different packages out there and I have download -x-, xable and onepiece ie8. I haven't looked at onepiece AIO yet but I don't know which one out of all of these is the better way to go. I searched and didn't really see a good comparison. I did see some used GDR and others QFE, I thought GDR was better but I don't know about that.

Can someone clear it up for me which is the best provider to use? I don't want to bash one over the other, just have a good nLited cd with the minimum stuff. Also, is there some good nlite session files to strip down XP.

Sorry if this is a redundant question.

Some things you may already know: The differences between GDR and QFE:

• GDR = General Distribution Release, LDR = Limited Distribution Release, QFE = Quick Fix Engineering
  • The LDR branch was created for Windows Vista and later operating systems; it is the same as QFE.
  • QFE files include all updates from the GDR branch, but not vice versa.
  • Official service packs are built using the QFE branch.
  • When nLite slipstreams individual updates it will use the QFE files.
  • Update packs built using GDR files are okay to use if you never plan to install an older QFE update. Otherwise there are complications.
    • When an update is installed normally the GDR files are used, but the QFE files are also extracted and placed in a special directory in case they're needed later. GDR update packs do not include these files. If you try to install a QFE update with older file versions in this case, it will fail.

List of known update packs for English XP x86 SP3 and their differences:

• Xable's update pack - GDR branch - Includes only high priority updates available from the Microsoft Update website. Does not include IE8 or the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
  • user_hidden's update pack - QFE branch - Started off as RyanVM's update pack with selected additional QFE updates included. Now includes most released QFE updates. Includes all high priority updates from the Microsoft Update website and some optional updates from that website, but not IE8. Includes the latest Adobe Flash Player for Internet Explorer. Does not include IE7, dotNET, Silverlight, WMP11 or Windows Search 4.0.
  • OnePiece's update pack - QFE branch - Includes everything in user_hidden's update pack plus IE8 and its updates, dotNET, Silverlight, WMP11 and its updates, Windows Search 4.0 and more. Includes a framework to remove unwanted components with custom addons.

-X- seems to have a good list of updates to use with nLite, though I have not tried or tested it myself as I have for other solutions. Keep in mind that nLite will use the QFE files as mentioned above.

Since I tend not to use nLite except for testing, I can't help you with slimming down your source. Hopefully you have more useful information now to make an informed decision regarding everything else. :)

Edited by 5eraph

I use the RyanVM Integrator for update packs (including my own). nLite is a great program and offers a fine feature set, I just don't need the extras it provides. :)