Use 2nd wireless card to share internet connection

Khead

Is it possible to share my internet connection with a 2nd wireless card?

Here's my scenario......I have free wifi at my apartment. But the signal is a little weak. My laptop's internal network card can pick up the signal, but my iPad doesn't see the network because the signal is too weak. I know my iPad can connect to the network, because I can pick up the signal on it in the laundry room.

So if I have a 2nd wireless card, can I share the internet connection to my iPad? I can't find a solution anywhere, everything I find is how to share a wired connection with a wifi card, but not share a wifi connection.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to share my internet connection with a 2nd wireless card?

Here's my scenario......I have free wifi at my apartment. But the signal is a little weak. My laptop's internal network card can pick up the signal, but my iPad doesn't see the network because the signal is too weak. I know my iPad can connect to the network, because I can pick up the signal on it in the laundry room.

So if I have a 2nd wireless card, can I share the internet connection to my iPad? I can't find a solution anywhere, everything I find is how to share a wired connection with a wifi card, but not share a wifi connection.

Any ideas?

I did the exact same thing the other day successfully! My 4th-gen iPod touch wasn't getting our wifi, but I had an old WinXP box that was. I installed the 2nd card (Netgear WG311 v3) and its driver. Then, I went to Network settings (or whatever the interface is called in XP, where you can see all the connections) and right-clicked my first wireless card. I went to the last tab and checked the box to 'Share this connection' and after I applied, there was a little hand under the connection icon. So now any ad-hoc connections will be connected indirectly to the main wireless network.

The next part involves creating the new network. You can follow this link here, but if you know what you're doing, it's pretty simple. Just choose to create a network, and then configure it how you wish. Then go to the 2nd wireless card and choose to view available networks, and select the new ad-hoc network. On your iPad, find the network and join it. That's it!

Hint: While you're in the network settings, I recommend you rename your wireless cards. I named my original card something like 'Main Card' and the second one 'Champagne Supernova' because that's what my SSID is ;)