MS Word feature similar to a Workbook in MS Excel 2003?

novicee

16 Dec 2010

Does MS Word have a feature similar to a Workbook in MS Excel 2003?

Does any version of MS Word have a feature similar to a workbook in MS Excel 2003? That is, a single file containing multiple documents preferably accessed by clicking on a tab.

I have tried searches of Word Help using keywords such as "workbook", "volume", etc but did not find what I was looking for.

I would appreciate any help answering this question.

-Novice

Does any version of MS Word have a feature similar to a workbook in MS Excel 2003? That is, a single file containing multiple documents preferably accessed by clicking on a tab.

Not that I'm aware of, but I only go to Office '03. But you can approximate it in two ways. You can use the Document Map to navigate your choice of headings level, or you can use the Master Documents feature. But if your docs are in any way complex, there have been many warnings that master/slave documents are very prone to corruption and data loss.

Oh, and another way is by hyperlink, either within the document, or if these are documents you frequently are in, you can put the links in a custom menu or toolbar. You can link to a place within the current doc or in a separate doc. If it's within the current doc, you can get there via bookmarks. Plus, you can write or record a macro to execute these tasks, and then assign it to a hotkey combination. That would make it very quick.

I'm still thinking. You could record macros that go to different Sections of a document, and then create a custom toolbar for each of them. Now, if you divide your docs into sections, all you would need to do is click the toolbar icon to navigate there. That's very much like the Excel function. All that's lacking is the display of section names.

p.