Install Multiple MS Office Security Updates in a batch file

pravinhirani

Hi,

I have been struggling to get an equivalnet to QCHAIN that worked great in Windows XP. Basically, to install multiple Windows updates using a batch file, Microsoft provides a utility called: wusa.exe to install .msu files in a sequence that works similar to QCHAIN. Down side to this is you can not use it to install anything with .exe file extensions. It is purely for .msu files. I have got MS Office XP installed on the Windows 7 clients and need to update the master build PC with the latest MS Office Patches using a batch file, but cannot find anything that can chain these patches to install in a sequence. Has anyone come across this situation and have managed to get a working solution? Please help. Thanks

The reason qchain existed was to overcome the rename on reboot issue where multiple hotfixes could contain updates to the same file - qchain was used to make sure that only the latest file for each updated binary was placed during the reboot. Office does not have that problem, so I fail to see why you can't simply get the list of updates and apply them in sequence?

The reason qchain existed was to overcome the rename on reboot issue where multiple hotfixes could contain updates to the same file - qchain was used to make sure that only the latest file for each updated binary was placed during the reboot. Office does not have that problem, so I fail to see why you can't simply get the list of updates and apply them in sequence?

Hi cluberti,

That true, but ran all patches in a line... The issue am having is to install all patches in one batch file silently. i.e each patch should finish installing before executing the next. Tried Start /Wait and still no joy

E.g.

ECHO.

ECHO Security Update for PowerPoint 2002 (KB905758)

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Hotfix or Update. Please wait...

"\\sharename\x86\1_KB905758.exe" /Q

ECHO.

ECHO Security Update for Office XP (KB911701)

ECHO.

"\\sharename\x86\2_KB911701.exe" /Q

ECHO.

ECHO Security Update for Office XP (KB920816)

ECHO.

"\\sharename\x86\3_KB920816.exe" /Q

ECHO.

ECHO Security Update for Access 2002 (KB955440)

ECHO.

"\\sharename\x86\4_KB955440.exe" /Q

ECHO.

ECHO Security Update for Office XP (KB921596)

ECHO.

"\\sharename\x86\5_KB921596.exe" /Q

The above will try install all at the same time

Edited by pravinhirani