XP: Preventing a [SCSI.load] txtsetup.sif entry from being installed?

Hi all,

I've added three lines to the txtsetup.sif file of my Windows XP install CD:

[SCSI.Load]
wvblk32 = wvblk32.sys,4
[SourceDisksFiles]
wvblk32.sys = 1,,,,,,,4
[SCSI]
wvblk32 = "WinVBlock Driver"

It successfully loads during setup, but the wvblk32.sys driver also gets installed as a "Boot" service in Windows, which is not what I want. In order to prevent this from happening I tried grasping at a few straws:

• Different combinations of flags in the [sourceDisksFiles] "wvblk32" entry
  • Adding 'wvblk32" to [NetServicesToDisable] section
  • Adding "wvblk32" to [RootDevicesToDelete.clean] section

None of which prevent the driver from being installed. Some of the default [sCSI.load] entries (such as cpqarray) are not installed after setup is complete, so I think it should be possible. I just can't figure out how.

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by Robbles

Hi all,

I've added three lines to the txtsetup.sif file of my Windows XP install CD:

[SCSI.Load]
wvblk32 = wvblk32.sys,4
[SourceDisksFiles]
wvblk32.sys = 1,,,,,,,4
[SCSI]
wvblk32 = "WinVBlock Driver"

It successfully loads during setup, but the wvblk32.sys driver also gets installed as a "Boot" service in Windows, which is not what I want. In order to prevent this from happening I tried grasping at a few straws:

• Different combinations of flags in the [sourceDisksFiles] "wvblk32" entry
  • Adding 'wvblk32" to [NetServicesToDisable] section
  • Adding "wvblk32" to [RootDevicesToDelete.clean] section

None of which prevent the driver from being installed. Some of the default [sCSI.load] entries (such as cpqarray) are not installed after setup is complete, so I think it should be possible. I just can't figure out how.

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Robbles, I do not have an answer for you, but Fernando 1 is the driver expert around here. Perhaps you can PM him. Do you have a txtsetup.oem file in your folder? If so, Windows may be using that to indicate the driver is a text mode (boot) driver. Enjoy, John.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I've recently had the same problem, and did an extensive research into the issue:

short answer: use [Keyboard.Load]

long answer:

some of the [xxxx.Load] groups including [sCSI.Load] are sticky, which means any service added to them will create its own Services\serviceName key and values which will stick to GUI-mode setup and final Windows (and will run over hivesys.inf entries),

the good news is that you don't have to use those groups, setupreg.hiv has precedence when it comes to services initialization order. if the service has no group specified in setupreg.hiv, it will be initialized according to it's load order, which is determined by txtsetup.sif according to the following order:

[bootBusExtenders.Load] // sticky! (any entry added to here will create its own Services\serviceName key and values, which will run over hivesys.inf entries)

[busExtenders.Load] // sticky!

[inputDevicesSupport.Load] // partially sticky!, group name won't be created / ran-over, service "Start" entry will be set to 3!

[Keyboard.Load]

[sCSI.Load] // sticky! + has it's own unavoidable file copy mechanism.

[DiskDrivers.Load]

[scsiClass.Load]

[FileSystems.Load]

[CdRomDrivers.Load]

Regards,

Tal Aloni