Startup Script doesn't work - Group Policy Issue?

atari37

I am following Microsoft's instructions on how to deploy Office 2010 Pro but the startup script doesn't work after I reboot one of my clients.

This is what I know:

1. The new GPO I created and linked to the OU works because if I rename the script with .vbs (instead of .bat) or purposely make a syntax error in the script I get an error message on the client side after a reboot. In other words, the client will complain about the syntax error or wrong filename extension when it reboots.

2. I know the script works because from the same client workstation, I can navigate to the location (\\mydomain\SysVol\mydomain\Policies\{F1E3A4C0-8ABA-4AFD-8CE4-8AA8059B2171}\Machine\Scripts\Startup) of the script and double-click on the script to install Office. This tells me that I don't have a permission issue.

3. The client workstation is Windows XP and the AD Server is Windows Server 2008 R2

4. The only information related to software installation in the log is under Application and it states "Changes to software installation settings were applied successfully".

5. I run gpresult and it shows that the GPO is being applied

Can anyone point me in the right directory to fix this problem? I don't know what else to try.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by atari37

I don't have the msi so I'm using a startup script. It's being setup as a computer object and I know the system account can access the network share.

This is the script Microsoft provided on their website. I only modified the path to the installer.

setlocal

REM *********************************************************************

REM Environment customization begins here. Modify variables below.

REM Get ProductName from the Office product's core Setup.xml file, and then add "office14." as a prefix.

set ProductName=Office2010PRO

REM Set DeployServer to a network-accessible location containing the Office source files.

set DeployServer=\\appserver\applications\Software\Office2010

REM Set ConfigFile to the configuration file to be used for deployment (required)

set ConfigFile=\\appserver\applications\Software\Office2010\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

REM Set LogLocation to a central directory to collect log files.

set LogLocation=\\appserver\applications\Software\Office2010\Office2010LogFiles

REM Deployment code begins here. Do not modify anything below this line.

IF NOT "%ProgramFiles(x86)%"=="" (goto ARP64) else (goto ARP86)

REM Operating system is X64. Check for 32 bit Office in emulated Wow6432 uninstall key

:ARP64

reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%ProductName%

if NOT %errorlevel%==1 (goto End)

REM Check for 32 and 64 bit versions of Office 2010 in regular uninstall key.(Office 64bit would also appear here on a 64bit OS)

:ARP86

reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%ProductName%

if %errorlevel%==1 (goto DeployOffice) else (goto End)

REM If 1 returned, the product was not found. Run setup here.

:DeployOffice

start /wait %DeployServer%\setup.exe /config %ConfigFile%

echo %date% %time% Setup ended with error code %errorlevel%. >> %LogLocation%\%computername%.txt

REM If 0 or other was returned, the product was found or another error occurred. Do nothing.

:End

Endlocal