Automatic XP Installation Help

vipin

Hi,

I have XP SP2 CD with me. I tried using nLite to create a slipstream XP SP3 DVD so that the setup automatically installs SP3 during installation and saves some of the time.

I used a RW DVD (burned a 2.4x Speed). I got errors, and to my surprise, all the three times errors were different:

At first attempt, I got a file missing error at 11 %

I fully erased the DVD using Nero and again slipstreamed XP SP3 and create a fresh XP Installation Disc using nLite.

But then I got a file missing error at 25 %, I again burned the disc and got error at 57%...

Any ideas?

Further, I have been through posts here and found that it is not actually possible to install softwares that require to enter keys like Nero, Microsoft Office.

My question is:

Is it possible to automatically install freeware software that do not require us to enter keys like FoxIT PDF Reader, WinAmp etc? If yes, is it also possible to customize them e.g these days freeware softwares are bundled with advertisements. WinAmp during installation tries to include 50 bundled mp3 offer, FoxIT install ASK.COM toolbar. Is it possible to avoid these things and just keep the installation clean and fast?

(FoxIT and WinAmp are just two examples of the freeware softwares I use regularly)

Please tell.

thanks

Edited by vipin

Hi,

I have XP SP2 CD with me. I tried using nLite to create a slipstream XP SP3 DVD so that the setup automatically installs SP3 during installation and saves some of the time.

I used a RW DVD (burned a 2.4x Speed). I got errors, and to my surprise, all the three times errors were different:

At first attempt, I got a file missing error at 11 %

I fully erased the DVD using Nero and again slipstreamed XP SP3 and create a fresh XP Installation Disc using nLite.

But then I got a file missing error at 25 %, I again burned the disc and got error at 57%...

Any ideas?

Further, I have been through posts here and found that it is not actually possible to install softwares that require to enter keys like Nero, Microsoft Office.

My question is:

Is it possible to automatically install freeware software that do not require us to enter keys like FoxIT PDF Reader, WinAmp etc? If yes, is it also possible to customize them e.g these days freeware softwares are bundled with advertisements. WinAmp during installation tries to include 50 bundled mp3 offer, FoxIT install ASK.COM toolbar. Is it possible to avoid these things and just keep the installation clean and fast?

(FoxIT and WinAmp are just two examples of the freeware softwares I use regularly)

Please tell.

thanks

vipin, my quick guess is that you have run nLite more than once against the same source. You should always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only one time doing all your work. As requested in BOLD RED above, please attach your Last Session.ini. You can install many applications with and without keys. Please see the forum on AddOns above for many and you can also install others through the Unattended Task RunOnce exit. Above in the Sticky section is a good tutorial and the nLite site has a guide that is very useful. I doubt at this time that you have a hardware problem. If you suspect so, always do a verify when you do your burn. Also look in your System Log for "CDPROM bad block errors". This name may not be quite correct but I saw this once when I copied my CD onto my HDD and had some really strange errors trying to install on VM. I also strongly suggest you use a virtual system to test your ISOs (no burning required). VMware Player, VirtualPC and VirtualBox are free. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: See this thread for Nero installer.

Edited by johnhc