Stuck in reboot loop

A while back, I tried to install the unofficial service pack 5 on my 2K unit. When the PC restarted, it went into a reboot loop. I restored back to SP4 and left it at that.

Lately I've been building a virtual 2K unit for testing purposes. This one was going to be an up to date starting point for testing other ideas and apps. Again, I tried to install the unofficial service pack and ran into the reboot loop problem again. I reverted back to SP4 and took it to Windows Update, which said I needed 95 updates. The first try was installing them all, same reboot loop problem. I restored back again and started installing the updates one at a time. It turns out that Update Rollup 1 (Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE) is the source of the problem. The PC boots past both of the progress bars. It gets to the "Windows is starting..." dialog box. Then the screen goes black and it starts over again. I've tried both offline installing and thru Windows update. Also tried reinstalling in safe mode. I made sure that all of the updates prior to UR1 were installed. I've tried on both NTFS and FAT32 systems.

When it occurred on my physical PC, I assumed it was an incompatibility stemming from the old hardware, originally a 98FE unit. Now that the problem is repeating in a virtual unit, it makes me think I've missed installing something that it needs. Might be using the wrong search terms, but I can't seem to find anything specific on reboot loops for this update. Any ideas?

I can boot into safe mode but have not seen that error message. There have been no error messages at all. The safe mode boot does take an extremely long time to complete compared to a normal boot before the update is installed. In http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861/ it says

This issue is fixed in Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 – v2.
This is the one I used. I did try restoring scsiport.sys to see if it would help. No change.

I can add this 2K virtual drive as a slave drive to my virtual 98 testbox if that would help with accessing logs, file versions, etc. It is FAT32 formatted.

If I can resolve this issue on the virtual system, I will try to get the unofficial service pack installed on the real one again. It appears to be the same problem.

Edited by herbalist

I knew I was missing something, that 2K doesn't show error messages unless auto-reboot is disabled. It is a stop error. Restoring scsiport.sys didn't help. I installed the hotfix in safe mode. The error message is the same except that only the top "***address...ntoskrnl.exe" is present.

Just install win2k+sp4 and then run WIndows Update, it adds some 50-60 updates. Windows Update on auto-pilot used to crash but MS fixed it so it works for now.

I did that. On my second attempt, I let Windows Update try to install over 90 updates. I let it try to install all of them. The install seemed to work until I rebooted. Then the same reboot loops started. I then started installing updates one at a time via Windows Update, starting with the oldest. When an update installed correctly and the system rebooted normally, I saved the changes. It was when I installed the update rollup that the reboot loop started again. I tried installing both thru Windows Update and with an offline installer. Also tried safe mode.

Did you look at this thread to generate a dump which might be analyzed and help solving your issue ?

When I have a bit more time, I'll install the debugger and get a memory dump. I was hoping that there was something simple I was overlooking. No such luck it would seem.

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed the debugger and generated the memory dump. It's 255MB. I also have a couple of 64K minidumps, which 2K apparently generated when VPC crashed. Win2K generated this BSOD during the reboot after installing UR1.

Is this minidump sufficient to analyze this or do I need to upload the full dump somewhere? Changed file extension of minidump to allow upload.

Edited by herbalist

The file you uploaded is corrupted. The forum can cause this with binary files renamed to TXT - PLEASE DO NOT RENAME .DMP FILES BEFORE UPLOADING thankyouverymuch ;).

If you want us to take a look, please upload it again, unmolested.

When I attach the file as is, I get:

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

Do I need to use an upload site and link to it or is something else wrong that I'm missing?

Edited by herbalist

Well, this one looks like it might be the file itself as even the .dmp you uploaded is corrupt. For what it's worth, the smallest minidump I've ever seen before was ~278K - I've never personally seen a 64K minidump before ;). Do you have a paging file configured on the \Windows volume?

I do have a paging file on the root drive that I had reset to the size listed in the above mentioned memory dump post, but the change didn't stick. It was still 384MB. On Win 2K, the memory dump options are a small memory dump (64k), a complete memory dump, and a kernel memory dump. I have a 255MB complete dump, not sure where to upload this. Too big for MediaFire. The 64K minidumps apparently aren't useful. I can also make a kernel memory dump. Which would you like? If you want the complete dump, any ideas where I can go with this? Can I compress it with 7zip without corrupting it?