USB to IEEE1284 Printer adapter compatible?

technoid

Hi, I just got a Windows 7 laptop and these new laptops obviously don't really carry a D-sub parallel printer port anymore these days, since everything is now USB to keep a compact formfactor. I have a bunch of old printers that only have Centronics/parallel ports that I'd like to use with the laptop.

Does anyone know, or have tried, if those USB-to-IEEE1284(36pin Centronics interface)printer adapters work in Windows7? There are a bunch on eBay you can buy (in new condition), some as low as $2.00 or $3.00 USD (including shipping). I've read they work up to Vista, but I've seen a couple other sellers saying theirs work in Win7. I've already contacted one of the sellers and they said it doesn't work in Win7. Hmmm, you would think that this type of interface should be Plug and Play, no matter which manufacturer.

Note, there are also USB-to-parallel(25pin D-sub interface) adapters, but if possible I'd rather use the one with the Centronics connector so as to directly connect to the printer with the Centronics port.

Here is an example eBay search list if you don't know what this adapter is:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=usb+to+1284&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, you would think that this type of interface should be Plug and Play, no matter which manufacturer.

That's obviously not the case, especially when you take a few decades old technology that you like to hook up with to days technology. If it works on Vista it's for 99% sure it will on 7 trough forcing the driver to continue installing could be needed, but... All those that you see on eBay at the moment are made up to XP ONLY, no matter what the box-pushers say there; all use the same chip with the same drivers.