ask for key first or skip key entry

I've made some search about your question.

Could you give the link where you found this example, please and I can try on my computer?

However I've read it's not really working good for many people, except someone but I don't why: no explaination.

Thanks

Which example are you referring to?

*Edit* I wanted to add that I just tried one suggestion, using a variable for the <key> part of the file like this <Key>%Please Enter Product Key%</Key>

and it reports it as invalid and stops the install. Heard that on another site but it obviously doesnt work.

It was about this suggestion, maybe it's yours!

Maybe the idea is to make 5 DVD for each Windows 7 x86 Version you want to install. In this way Keep only the .clg file you need and deleete the others.

You can see these one inside "sources\install_Windows 7 ULTIMATE.clg" (for example) and make the appropriate "Autounattend.xml" including this version to skip the dialog box asking the version to install.

And 4 DVD for Windows 7 x64.

It's just an idea.

*Edit: Also needed to modify the file "ei.cfg", inside "sources" with the version you choose!

Edited by myselfidem

I could do that, but its kind of a pain in the butt. The whole idea is to create one master disc. I already have an xp pro/home and vista disc on one dual-layer and I was going to add the windows 7 on it aswell (it will barely fit). I would rather just suck it up and have the install stop half way through and have to enter the key rather than have fifty discs laying around. Also, we're only dealing with x64 and since home basic is non-existant basically, its only 3 installs. I guess i COULD live with 3 diff installs since MOST of them would be either Home premium or pro but i havnt decided yet. I just wish it worked like vista.

That suggestion was something I found on the internet and I cant really remember where I found it but they said to put a variable in the key area but it just errors about an invalid key and the install fails to continue, I might research on that productkey field more though.

Thanks again for all your input.

Just an suggestion.

Maybe you can try to make differents "Autounattend.xml" for each version you want to install and put them inside a floppy or USB key?

You can have in this way only one Windows 7 with all versions on your DVD, and choose the version you want to install with the specific "Autounattend.xml"!

Change just the name for the others, like: "Autounattend_Premium.xml"; "Autounattend_Pro.xml" and the one you want use "Autounattend.xml".

Some help here:

I hope that will help you!

Easiest way is delete ei.cfg file and don't have image selection in autounattend.xml that way one dvd can install any version all version of windows are on the dvd except enterprise then you only need x64 and x86 dvd or you could make x64/x86 dvd.

Just an suggestion.

Maybe you can try to make differents "Autounattend.xml" for each version you want to install and put them inside a floppy or USB key?

You can have in this way only one Windows 7 with all versions on your DVD, and choose the version you want to install with the specific "Autounattend.xml"!

Change just the name for the others, like: "Autounattend_Premium.xml"; "Autounattend_Pro.xml" and the one you want use "Autounattend.xml".

Some help here:

If I could have multiple autounattendeds then that would work perfectly. I could put the generic keys into the files and then use the customer's key to activate after the fact. I read through that post but I couldnt seem to find the part where it talks about doing that. Perhaps I missed something. If i could make my autounattend.xml basically say "if you're home premium, use homepremium.xml, etc..that would be EXACTLY what I need to make this work flawlessly. I just finished the rest of my windows 7 stuff with tweaks so this would be the icing on the cake. Thanks agian, hopefully i can figure out how to do this now

*EDIT* You know what, i totally misunderstood what you meant. You're saying having all the version sof the autounattended on a key and renaming them as i need. I guess that would work aswell but i dont know. i thought you meant it was possible to have multuple unattend.xml files on one disc and have it use a specific one based on the version it installed. my bad.

Edited by Jadestar

Thanks for your reply!

My idea it's to use the "Autounattend.xml" needed for the Windows 7 version you want to install!

That means the others "Autounattend.xml" have an other name for not create an conflict.

Example: Just rename the file "Autounattend_Pro.xml" as "Autounattend.xml" for the installation!

And in this way you have only one used for the unattended install!

You can also use an name with text format, maybe it's better: "Autounattend_Ultimate.txt"

And rename this one "Autounattend.xml" when you want install Windows 7 Ultimate.

It's just an idea!

But I think about your question!

Edited by myselfidem

I could put the generic keys into the files and then use the customer's key to activate after the fact. I read through that post but I couldnt seem to find the part where it talks about doing that.

You can find the default keys inside your DVD Windows 7 "sources\product.ini". You can find all the keys you need for an unattended install!

Maybe you can try this:

Delete the file "ie.cfg" inside "sources" and during the installation all Windows version are displayed. The customer can choose the version he wants to install. And when the task for the key appears he can skip the dialog box. The default key will be installed for the version he had choosen to continue the unattended installation. He can at this time set the valid key, also!

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/23/how-to-select-any-edition-or-version-sku-of-windows-7-to-install-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/

Edited by myselfidem

And if you choose to delete some Images inside the folder "install.wim", with imagex.exe, you can delete also the catalogs files you don't need. Example: "install_Windows 7 STARTER.clg"; "install_Windows 7 HOMEBASIC.clg" if you have deleted these Images for Windows 7 Starter Edition and Homebasic Edition!

Or you can use imagexgui, like kelsenellenelvian had suggested to delete the Images inside install.wim!

I hope that will give you some help!

Edited by myselfidem

Maybe you can try this:

Delete the file "ie.cfg" inside "sources" and during the installation all Windows version are displayed. The customer can choose the version he wants to install. And when the task for the key appears he can skip the dialog box. The default key will be installed for the version he had choosen to continue the unattended installation. He can at this time set the valid key, also!

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/23/how-to-select-any-edition-or-version-sku-of-windows-7-to-install-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/

Thats exactly what im doing already. The idea was to skip that key screen so it goes into first boot and runs the rest of my scripts to install various programs, tweaks etc etc.

Hello :rolleyes:

I've made successfully an unattended installation with Windows 7 where I can choose to install Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate: the correct Default keys are injected inside all the images! Works fine!

I've delete 2 unwanted images: Windows 7 Starter and HomeBasic.

At first, open with Notepad the file "ei.cfg" stored inside "sources" and delete just the line for the verion and save it:

like this:

[EditionID]

[Channel]

OEM

[VL]

All the availables images will be displayed at the installation and the user can make his choise!

If you want to delete unwanted images you can use imagex.exe.

Now you need to Set all the Default Keys for the images you keep and want. You must mount, set the correct Default Key you need for each version, dismount and commit all the images.

You can find this one inside the file "product.ini" (inside the folder sources).

Here is a batch I've created to do that more easy.

Example for "Windows 7 Ultimate x86" with Windows 7 Starter and HomeBasic deleted:

SetProductKeys.cmd

(With two images deleted!)

TITLE ===Set Default Product Keys for an Unattended Install==
Cls
@echo off
Color 0A
CLS
@echo off
REM This example is for Windows 7 Ultimate x86 with 5 Images
REM Integrate Unattend.xml offline to an Mounted Image
REM If you don't want use Autounattend.xml file at the root of your DVD
REM DISM.exe /Image:C:\test /Apply-Unattend:C:\unattend.xml
echo.
REM You need to have Windows 7 WAIK installed on your computer
echo.
echo ==Delete unwanted Images==
echo.
REM Create Temp folder inside your target partition: Example => C:\test
REM Sources files inside: Example here => C:\win7pro\
REM Change the Drive letter if you need
echo.
echo ==Delete Windows 7 STARTER Edition==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /delete C:\win7pro\sources\install.wim 1 /check
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Delete Windows 7 HOMEBASIC Edition==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /delete C:\win7pro\sources\install.wim 1 /check
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
REM Now you have 3 Images availables and the rank is changed like this
REM Image Index:1 => Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM
REM Image Index:2 => Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL
REM Image Index:3 => Windows 7 ULTIMATE
echo.
echo ==Set ProductKeys for unattended install==
echo.
echo ==Mounting Image Index:1 Windows 7 HomePremium==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"C:\win7pro\sources\install.wim" /Index:1 /MountDir:"C:\test"
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Set Default ProductKey for Windows 7 HomePremium==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Image:C:\test /Set-ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Unmount and Commit Image Index:1 Windows 7 HomePremium==
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:"C:\test" /commit
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Mounting Image Index:2 Windows 7 Professional==
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"C:\win7pro\sources\install.wim" /Index:2 /MountDir:"C:\test"
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Set Default ProductKey for Windows 7 Professional==
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Image:"C:\test" /Set-ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Unmount and Commit Image Index:2 Windows 7 Professional==
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:"C:\test" /commit
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Mounting Image Index:3 Windows 7 Ultimate==
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"C:\win7pro\sources\install.wim" /Index:3 /MountDir:"C:\test"
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Set Default ProductKey for Windows 7 Ultimate==
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\Dism.exe" /Image:"C:\test" /Set-ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Unmount and Commit Image Index:3 Windows 7 Ultimate==
pause to see if ERROR
echo.
echo ==Delete catalog files==
DEL /F /Q "C:\win7pro\sources\install_Windows 7 STARTER.clg"
DEL /F /Q "C:\win7pro\sources\install_Windows 7 HOMEBASIC.clg"
pause
echo.
echo Set your Autounattend.xml at the root folder source before to launch the ISO file creation
pause
echo ==Create the ISO file==
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\oscdimg.exe" -h -u2 -m -b"c:\win7pro\boot\etfsboot.com" -lwin7pro c:\win7pro\ c:\win7pro.iso
pause to see if ERROR
REM After the installation is made the user need to activate the Windows version choosed with the valid key
REM Validation needed online after 30 days
@echo off
exit

If you get errors with an mounted image not correctly done, you can use a reg file:

InstallTakeOwnership.reg (Thanks to maxXPsoft !)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F /t"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F /t"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership]

@="Take Ownership"

"HasLUAShield"=""

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\takeownership]

@="Take Ownership"

"HasLUAShield"=""

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\takeownership\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

And use this command:

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /cleanup "c:\test"

Before make your Autounattend.xml file and put this one at the root of the DVD: NO KEY IS NEEDED!

Don't set a key inside the file "Autounattend.xml"!

Then at the end of the command - there is a pause - and you can add the "Autounattend.xml" file (if you have forgotten to do that) and launch the process to create the ISO!

You can create your ISO file and all is done!

The user can choose the Windows version he want and set the valid key after 30 days.

You can make the same batch for Windows x64.

Be carefull to choose the correct path for Dism.exe, imagex.exe and oscdimg.exe!

Then you can make an "All-In-One" DVD for Windows 7 x86/x64 and use only one "Autounattend.xml". You have one valid key for these two DVD (x86/x64). Inject all the default keys!

As an example, here is my Autounattend.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SystemLocale>fr-FR</SystemLocale>
<UserLocale>fr-FR</UserLocale>
<UILanguage>fr-FR</UILanguage>
<UILanguageFallback>fr-FR</UILanguageFallback>
<InputLocale>100c:0000100c</InputLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UserData>
<ProductKey>
<Key></Key>
</ProductKey>
<Organization>particulier</Organization>
<FullName>myselfidem</FullName>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
</UserData>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<MetaData wcm:action="add">
<Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
<Value></Value>
</MetaData>
</InstallFrom>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UserAccounts>
<LocalAccounts>
<LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
<Name>myselfidem</Name>
<Group>Administrators</Group>
<Password>
<PlainText>false</PlainText>
<Value>xxxxxx</Value>
</Password>
</LocalAccount>
</LocalAccounts>
</UserAccounts>
<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>
<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
<HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
</OOBE>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UILanguage>fr-FR</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>fr-FR</UserLocale>
<InputLocale>100c:0000100c</InputLocale>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<AutoLogon>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Username>myselfidem</Username>
<Password>
<PlainText>false</PlainText>
<Value>xxxxxx</Value>
</Password>
<LogonCount>9999999</LogonCount>
</AutoLogon>
<TimeZone>W. Europe Standard Time</TimeZone>
<ComputerName>Se7en</ComputerName>
</component>
</settings>
</unattend>

*If you use Windows System Image Manager (WSIM) delete the last line where you see the version of Windows!

Delete this line inside Autounattend.xml: =>

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:C:/Win7/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 Édition Intégrale" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

I think once the validation is made for the Windows version choosen, it's only for this version. If you try to install with the same DVD an other version with the default key injected you need to do a new time the activation! But you can also save the file "Tokens.dat" after the activation to keep this one.

Feel free to change this command (attachment: SetProductKeys.cmd, ready to use: Default Keys include!).

Example with your Autounattend.xml x64 as attachment..

I hope that will help you.

*Edit:

New batch files SetProductKey.zip (English and French version):

http://www.mediafire.com/?uss84mzbqo91q

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Edited by myselfidem

I could put the generic keys into the files and then use the customer's key to activate after the fact. I read through that post but I couldnt seem to find the part where it talks about doing that. Perhaps I missed something. If i could make my autounattend.xml basically say "if you're home premium, use homepremium.xml, etc..that would be EXACTLY what I need to make this work flawlessly. I just finished the rest of my windows 7 stuff with tweaks so this would be the icing on the cake. Thanks agian, hopefully i can figure out how to do this now

To do that you only need to use a batch file, like I've made and I give you at my last post! Only one Autounattend.xml is needed.

You can try "SetProductKeys.cmd" and you don't need to insert keys after that, because they are inside all images!

Edited by myselfidem

• 1 year later...