Can not Reload XP but can load Win7

4circles

I have a strange issue with a Dell XPS desktop machine. It is giving the Blue Screen of Death when booting XP. I was able to backup the drive by attaching it to another machine as a secondary drive.

I attempted to boot using the Dell build CD's, Winternationals, and XP true CD and get the blue screen. I attempted to boot from a known good XP replacment drive and get a blue screen. I defaulted the BIOS and still the same issue. I tested the CPU/Motherboard/Memory for several hours using a various burn in programs and the hardware passed successfully. I then loaded Win7 on the test drive with no issues and operates successfully.

Now that you know the history of what has been done. What is preventing me from loading XP on this machine? Please note that this machine was shipped from Dell downgraded to Windows XP. I am confused and want to ge my XP back due to some applications will not work with Windows7.

Edited by 4circles

It might be needed to slipstream raid/ahci sata driver in your XP CD (if it doesn't have it already).

Also post your stop error and the the exact model of your dell xps.

It might be needed to slipstream raid/ahci sata driver in your XP CD (if it doesn't have it already).

Also post your stop error and the the exact model of your dell xps.

I get 0x000000C2(0x00000043,0xc2ff4000,0x00000000,0x00000000). This is using the factory CD and the original drive.

I used a factory XP cd and prompted for a floppy drive when trying to load additional drivers for the SATA/RAID configuration. No floppy on this machine.

This is a XPS 630i machine.

Suggestions?

In the bios , what is the setting for IDE/SATA configuration and does a raid array exist?

It doesn't seems a storage related error but checking it doesn't cost much.

The XPS 630i comes with nvidia raid so you'll need to be sure to have a CD with the nvidia raid driver. You should have at least a ref to nvrd32.sys in the txtsetup.sif (it's a text file) which is in the I386 folder of your XP CD.

If you have an usb floppy disk try to put the nvidia raid driver on it then retry.

Or you could slipstream the driver on your xp CD with nlite or manualy.

In the bios , what is the setting for IDE/SATA configuration and does a raid array exist?

It doesn't seems a storage related error but checking it doesn't cost much.

The XPS 630i comes with nvidia raid so you'll need to be sure to have a CD with the nvidia raid driver. You should have at least a ref to nvrd32.sys in the txtsetup.sif (it's a text file) which is in the I386 folder of your XP CD.

If you have an usb floppy disk try to put the nvidia raid driver on it then retry.

Or you could slipstream the driver on your xp CD with nlite or manualy.

IDE/SATA Config

HDD SMART Enabled

Serial -ATA Controller All Enabled

Raid Config All the drives are disabled.

SATA 0 lists the drive ST3320620AS

SATA 1 lists the CD

SATA 2 lists the DVD

I attempted to load the link and the NVIDIA RAID DRIVER loads successfully but the NIVIDIA nForce Storage Controller fails. Unexpected error 4096 at 2113 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.