slave hard drive not working

bootless

Howdy kind souls,

I installed a WD2500JB as a slave to my primary internal h.d. I looked up how/where to set the jumper on the WDC website first. I set the jumper at the first row it's the default location actually.

I formatted it with Fdisk and everything went well.

Rebooted.

It shows up as "D".

However, the drive letter "D" is not associated as all the others drive letters are and i cannot access the drive at all.

Now I am not sure what to do.

thanks ahead of time!

I'm using WIN98SE.

I formatted it with Fdisk and everything went well.

You don't format with fdisk, only partition it. So you still have to format the partition. Rightclick on D: and choose 'Format disk'.

Edited by Mijzelf

Guest wsxedcrfv

I installed a WD2500JB as a slave to my primary internal h.d.

I'm using WIN98SE.

That is a 250 gb eIDE hard drive.

You will have problems with it (data corruption) when you read/write past the 137 GB point on the drive.

I'd be surprised if it can even be completely formatted under Windows 98.

Are you sure of your jumper settings?

From your description, you may have set your jumpers over the two pins in the right-most column, which on my WD drive is the default position of cable select, as follows:

OOOOX POWER

OOOOX PLUG

This will work if your master hard drive is also set to cable select, and both drives are correctly positioned on the cable (If your cable is not marked otherwise, position your master drive at the end connector of the cable. Position your slave drive at the middle connector).

To set my WD drive to slave, I set my jumper as follows:

OOOXO POWER

OOOXO PLUG

You didn't say what your master drive was. But, if it is another WD drive, jumper settings may have to be changed, depending on whether the WD drive is a single drive on the cable, or a master drive with slave attached. Here are the settings I use for a single drive:

OOO0O POWER

OOXXO PLUG

And here are the settings I use for my WD set up as a master drive:

OOXOO POWER

OOXOO PLUG

Note that these are jumper settings for a WD model different than yours. Thus, you should verify, for yourself, the jumper settings for specific models of both your master and slave hard drives, before making any changes.