create windows shortcuts last accessed directory

bubbadamage

id like to make a shortcut in my "send to" directory

to create a "last accessed directory" shortcut

sounds simple

not really

ive had alook at many windows path syntax's and dont see a "last accessed directory anywhere"

that i could use here

even %cd% dont work

so is there a way?

note: i thought i maybe able to run a registry setting with the last accessed directory in there but im not sure if i can run from it from a commandline. (but i cant get past google poping up referances for Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup)

Can you explain it better. Not exactly sure what you think "last access directory" means.

Technically speaking when you select a file, right click and choose send-to, you are in effect accessing that directory. If it was possible to create a script, the files already exist in that directory creating a error. (the destination and the source files are the same)

You cannot copy a file onto itself. Do you see the paradox ?

Edited by MrJinje

Can you explain it better. Not exactly sure what you think "last access directory" means.

Technically speaking when you select a file, right click and choose send-to, you are in effect accessing that directory. If it was possible to create a script, the files already exist in that directory creating a error. (the destination and the source files are the same)

You cannot copy a file onto itself. Do you see the paradox ?

i see your point.

sorry but i even confuse myself.

lets try that again

id like to create a shortcut that would access the 2nd last accessed directory (automatically know)

c:\this\

c:\is\ "2nd last accessed directory"

c:\example\ "present directory"

is there a way?

Edited by bubbadamage

To answer your original question, no, this cannot be done using a shortcut (or path variable) it simply requires more scripting logic to accomplish. I know this data is in the registry but cannot remember exactly where (BAGS MRU sounds like a good start). Unfortunately google taking the barf on my search criterion.

No worries, there are 5 ways to do everything in M$, in your case, it might be plausible to create a VBS script (in your send-to directory) that will take your selected files as input, use sendkeys to copy, programmatically hit the explorer "Back" button, and then finally paste them. Same desired result.

To answer your original question, no, this cannot be done using a shortcut (or path variable) it simply requires more scripting logic to accomplish. I know this data is in the registry but cannot remember exactly where (BAGS MRU sounds like a good start). Unfortunately google taking the barf on my search criterion.

No worries, there are 5 ways to do everything in M$, in your case, it might be plausible to create a VBS script (in your send-to directory) that will take your selected files as input, use sendkeys to copy, programmatically hit the explorer "Back" button, and then finally paste them. Same desired result.

whoah this is harder than first though :wacko:

i think ill take this 1 step at time to see what i can do

but thanks for the info MrJinje. ;)

Last accessed by whom? Explorer? Any app? If you press Explorer's Back button it will take you to the last accessed dir. It's also in the registry, so you can write a VBS script the copies the value to a link in the Send To folder.

• 3 weeks later...

Last accessed by whom? Explorer? Any app? If you press Explorer's Back button it will take you to the last accessed dir. It's also in the registry, so you can write a VBS script the copies the value to a link in the Send To folder.

while moving though windows explorer is there a made script for a level (dir) behind?