Installing win xp on a vista preinstalled pc

82ndbravo

Hello forum,

ill start this out with computer specs

Model: HP pavilion dv7-1133cl

processor: AMD Turion X2 dual core Moblie RM-70

Memory: 4gig

Now that ive got that out of the way, ill follow it up with my problem.I am wanting to dual boot vista and xp so I Partitioned my hard drive to give winXP a place to call home. After i gave the partition eough space i popped in my winXP pro cd and rebooted the computer, Press any key to boot from cd, So windows xp starts to do its thing and starts to install, gets to Starting windows and a STOP error comes up error being STOP:0X0000007B.

I researched abit around the net on this error coming to find out that i was needing a SATA driver so xp could install.

So i Determine the type of processor in the computer, then search for and downloaded the latest SATA AHCI driver from the processor manufacturer's. I beleave is the correct one, From what i read it is.

Also read that i could Disable SATA native mode. But my Laptop doesnt support this action.

So now i am looking into slipstreaming xp. This is where my problem begain. This is where i am lost on what iam suppose to do from here on out.

So i find this link from hp http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00758841&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01675438/en_us/c00758841/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3802960

Which has good info but from the steps they have listed isnt show the exact same on my computer then it does in the screen shots

Now that i caught u up on what ive done so far, I really need someones help on what i need to do to slipstreaming xp.

I downloaded Total Commande and Ultra ISO to start this, but still haveing problems. Is there anyone out there that would please take time out of your buzy day and give a helping hand.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and i am hopeing i get a speedy reply. have a good one

Edited by 82ndbravo

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, your link didn't turn out right. There are many HP pavilion dv7 models. Please specify the exact model.

I think your best bet (easiest) would be to integrate the drivers using NLite. Please read around nlite forum. The most useful topics for your needs would be some of the stickied ones, "Integration of... sata and ahci drivers", but (I'm guessing now) for your Turion you probably need Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP which is not stickied.

GL

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, your link didn't turn out right. There are many HP pavilion dv7 models. Please specify the exact model.

I think your best bet (easiest) would be to integrate the drivers using NLite. Please read around nlite forum. The most useful topics for your needs would be some of the stickied ones, "Integration of... sata and ahci drivers", but (I'm guessing now) for your Turion you probably need Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP which is not stickied.

GL

Ya sorry about that i should of known better, I updated the post/ Pavilion dv7-1133cl is the model

I had difficulties to find information on HP's site about the chipset, but from the PDF manual (specifications) I downloaded, it seems it's AMD SB700 (soutbridge). So the last link in my previous post should apply, but it's not so detailed - if you're not so experienced with nLite, study the first stickied post by Fernando 1 - he's the resident expert on these things around here. Also, it would be probably a good idea to take his driver from the second post of the topic I linked.

If your Vista is still working, maybe you can post a screenshot of Device Manager - expanded hard disk controllers (IDE/Atapi controllers or similar), just in case.

Also, as a general word of caution - before you proceed to create a dual boot, I hope you understand all the caveats and traps of multibooting (because you are installing older Microsoft OS after a newer one, you'll at least have to repair Vista bootsector, and there might be other problems).

* Edit: your link is also for the Intel chipset (as described in the first pinned topic in nlite forum) that you don't have. It seems HP have put a generic "solution" that doesn't help in all cases. Maybe you can make it work if you download AMD driver (from the post I linked), but it would be more difficult (and you need a floppy).

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi