"Media Not Found" on Windows Deployment Disk

clodhoppers18

We are using MS Deployment Toolkit (who knows what it's called now, the name changes every 6 months) with WinPE 2.0.

We have a CD that we use for booting into the deployment Wizard (Lite Touch PE ISO from the server that has the deployment toolkit installed)

We have several CDs and they all work on our desktops and have been used on many of our laptops and netbooks. However about a week ago, we started having a problem where the laptops would start to boot from the disk, would get loaded into WinPE with the 2 command boxes up then we would get a "Media Not Found. Please reinsert the media (CD, DVD, or USB) needed to complete the deployment." message. We can remove and reinsert the CD as many times as we want but it goes no further in WinPE. We are getting an IP address through WinPE and can ping the deployment server. We know 100% that these disks (3 different ones) have been used on the exact model of notebooks and netbooks. We have tried switching out the CD/DVD modular drives in the affected notebooks, as well as using several different external drives with no success in getting past this message. After receiving this message on the notebooks, we used them on a desktop and they are able to pull up the deployment wizard and deploy the images, etc. We have tried re-burning the ISO, after doing the "update" on the deployment point and it still doesn't get past the message on the note/netbooks.

What boggles my mind is that it works on the desktops; it is obviously able to read the disk because it boots most of the way through; and the disk worked previously on this model laptop.

Please advise in any way you can, I appreciate the assistance.

post-162369-126995725569_thumb.jpg

actually it sounds more like there is no network access. It cannot find the deployment share, so it asks you to find the install source locally. Just a guess, but try and ping the deployment server from the wimPE session, if you cannot, I would suspect LAN Driver issue.

Dumb question, are you trying to do this on the wireless connection ?

actually it sounds more like there is no network access. It cannot find the deployment share, so it asks you to find the install source locally. Just a guess, but try and ping the deployment server from the wimPE session, if you cannot, I would suspect LAN Driver issue.

Dumb question, are you trying to do this on the wireless connection ?

...We are getting an IP address through WinPE and can ping the deployment server...

Yes to the ping, no to the Wireless connection. On gigabit switches, even tried hooking up to the same switch that the deployment server is on and still nothing.

For the ping thing, the CD has been used on the same model before without any issues so I don't suspect a driver problem.

• 1 year later...

Problem: Media Not Found. Please reinsert the media (CD, DVD, or USB) needed to complete the deployment.

Pasted from <https://tuxbrew.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/media-not-found-please-reinsert-the-media-cd-dvd-or-usb-needed-to-complete-the-deployment/>

Fix: Delete the MININT folder from the C: drive.

Screen clipping taken: 5/23/2011 2:52 PM