Disable Copy in XP Network

Ortakey

How can i disable copy in xp networks.

Example:

XP SP3 Client ------ Only Viewing -------> XP SP3 My Server ( Shared my Mp3,Video,Apps... )

XP SP3 Client <----- Copy Blocking ------- XP SP3 My Server ( Shared my Mp3,Video,Apps... )

How do I make such a restriction?

Do you have a program that can make or restriction?

Thnx for concern

What exactly do you mean by "Viewing"? :unsure:

Do you mean "Viewing" the directory listing or "Viewing" the content in a media-player

on a client?

If it's the latter: you can't, since "Viewing" (playing) content from another source is

exactly the same as "Copying"; the file gets streamed (copied) to the player and the server

cannot distinguish "Copying" from "Viewing".

You'll need to really stream the content with DRM, if you want some sort of "protection"

(and even that can be hacked).

Greetz,

Peter.

It is doable. I forget the specifics, and it's stupidly difficult.

You have to make registry edits to the Internet Explorer Zones (changes that the IE security control panel applet would not normally permit you to make).

By manipulating Zones, specifically the LocalZone, you are telling Windows that your local network is essentially like the Internet, and can view media files (just like IE) but CANNOT drag and drop them from the network to the local machine (again, just like IE).

I hope this makes sense. I would guess it's intuitive if you know about Zones. I ran into this once with settings I found and copied out of the REGINST section of SHDOCLC, I think. A few changes later, I had an INF file that allowed me to access and open files on the network, but drag and dropping was not permitted (it had one of those 'action not permitted' mouse cursors).

Sorry i can't be of more help remembering the settings I'd discovered, but now you have a method whereby you can give it a try (instead of wasting time going down the file and network permissions road, which is indeed fruitless as VideoRipper noted).

Edit: more detail.

Zones all have numbers. 1, 2, 3, and 4. look in the HIVE files and you'll see allowed extensions for dragging and dropping for IE and the zone 4, which IIRC is the Internet. If you essentially copy the IE setting to the zone number of the LAN (is it 3, maybe? I forget) then you'll have a machine that treats files on the LAN as if it were IE looking at a website.

Edited by fdv