New to Unattended questions

Hello, I am new to unattended installs in general, and have been reading everything I can for the last few weeks. I am an IT assistant at a small company and I have been asked to look into the easiest and cheapest way to roll out a Windows XP image on to new machines, and re-imaging old ones.

I am getting my head around most of it, but I am conflicted in the best and most useful method for us. Currently I am going through these 3 options:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/

The unattended guide here.

Ashley's guide from this topic.

And finally Iceman's guide in this topic.

The main question I have (never having used WIAK or WDS) is if we use either of those options there is no mention in those guides of installation of common applications. We have 12 common applications we want rolled out on each machine, and the MSFN unattended guide using RunOnceEX or Windows Post-Installer is exactly what we want. Is anything like that possible using WDS? It seems to me the image If so, I can't find a write up on basic steps. Can someone show me a link, or guide me to where I can find the best information?

Thank you, I hope I was clear in what I am looking for, and don't worry I'm not asking anyone to write it up for me here lol.