n00b question on RDS licensing

ElGranDoofus

I'm trying to help a company out, which has been told by one of their software providers that they should use terminal services in order to allow employees in two different office locations to use the software. I'm trying to wrap my head around the licensing...

First, they need a server license, that's a given. They'd need a new server, so we'll say 2008 R2. The CALs are where I'm a bit fuzzy - it seems that RDS CALs are different from regular CALs - is that correct?

If so, then for one of their employees to run an application residing on the server, do they need both a regular CAL *and* an RDS CAL?

If you guys could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

each user in this casse would need to 2 CAL's

1. the normal user CAL that allows connections to servers (Ad logon, httpp etc)

2. the RDP CAL to connect to the terminal server and use the application from there.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let them know that they need the RDS cals in addition to regular CALs.

The software in question is some insurance software, for some reason they don't want to put another server in the second office, and the software vendor recommended terminal services. No licensing issues with the software.

Now to look into bandwidth issues between the offices... each office has something like 512mbps, I need to get prices on more substantial pipes.