Windows 2003 equivalent of Novell Application Object..?

spinjector

Back in the Novell days, I was a wiz at creating/managing Application Objects.

What's the Windows 2003 Active Directory equivalent of a Novell Application Object?

Obviously, I'm new to this. I've tried searching Google for an answer, but I don't even know what search terms to use.

Basically, I'm looking for the function/feature/software to push/remove software/files from workstations.

Thanks.

Good luck, it isn't very complicated once you have your domain all set up. Let me know if you need assistance with GPOs and getting them to apply to the right set of computers/users.

Edited by MrJinje

I do have a question regarding the creation of the MSI files that AD seems to be expecting - basically, how to create them?

How does one create packages for settings & programs that don't use MSI files...?

In Novell, there was SnapShot - the functional equivalent of SysDiff. You used that to find the files & registry keys of a program, and then packaged it up into at AOT, if I remember correctly.

Windows 2000 shipped with a version of WISE package installer, but I don't know what free packagers are out there that will actually make it easy to create an MSI package. There are lots that can do it, but none are free, and very few are easy for first-timers.

Try this one.

Advanced Installer

This is a unified package containing the complete Advanced Installer application, which includes Freeware, Professional, For Java and Enterprise features. Freeware features can be accessed at any time by creating a project of type "Simple".

Creating any other type of projects requires non-freeware features. These are fully enabled during the trial period, after which you must purchase a license to continue using them.

The free-ware "Simple" template can do everything you need. The crippled professional functions are nice, but can be duplicated by hand using the simple template. Since you are doing group policy and not online sales, you don't need most of the advanced features (emailing keys to customers, etc). You'll find the "simple" template is actually pretty advanced in it's own right.

I'll let you know in thirty days if I can still create MSI with the basic template or not, the one I just made installed just fine with the /QN switch.

Edited by MrJinje