BSOD During 2nd half of Windows XP x64 installation.

Jar

Hello, I am new here on MSFN, I searched for someone with a similar problem, so hopefully this hasn't been resolved yet.

Okay here's my problem:

I created a custom Windows XP x64 CD using nLite, all I did to change the CD was to integrate my RAID drivers, which worked.

I setup my raid drives (2x 500GB SATA drives) and it was recognized during the first half of the setup, but upon re-boot once the Windows XP x64 logo appears, it goes straight to a blue screen.

I think it may be that Windows isn't loading the RAID drivers during the second half, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Does anyone know why this happened or how I might be able to fix it?

Specs:

ASUS M3A78 Motherboard

2x 500GB Hitachi Deskstar HD's

4GB DDR2 800MHz

AMD Phenom 9950 x4

Nvidia GTX 260

530w Rosewill PSU

Thanks in advance, and I can post pictures of the BSOD if needed.

Edited by Jar

• 5 months later...

Hello, I am new here on MSFN, I searched for someone with a similar problem, so hopefully this hasn't been resolved yet.

Okay here's my problem:

I created a custom Windows XP x64 CD using nLite, all I did to change the CD was to integrate my RAID drivers, which worked.

I setup my raid drives (2x 500GB SATA drives) and it was recognized during the first half of the setup, but upon re-boot once the Windows XP x64 logo appears, it goes straight to a blue screen.

I think it may be that Windows isn't loading the RAID drivers during the second half, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Does anyone know why this happened or how I might be able to fix it?

Specs:

ASUS M3A78 Motherboard

2x 500GB Hitachi Deskstar HD's

4GB DDR2 800MHz

AMD Phenom 9950 x4

Nvidia GTX 260

530w Rosewill PSU

Thanks in advance, and I can post pictures of the BSOD if needed.

I had the same problem doing the same thing for my ASUS P6X58D motherboard - installing RAID drivers. The installation would get as far as booting Windows XP64 for the first time, the Window's splash screen with the moving blue dots would move the blue dots for 2 to 3 seconds then the dots stop and a few seconds later BSOD. In my case it was always STOP 7B aka you got hard disk problems! In my case, the boot disk was on another controller that was still in IDE mode. The drivers I installed were for AHCI mode. Making certain that the drivers matched the disk controller mode cleared up the problem. My motherboard has an Intel hard disk/RAID controller chip. When I put the controller in RAID mode, to support my RAID system, it also uses AHCI. From my struggles to clear up the problem I had, it appears that a Windows installation can make it to the first windows boot with the wrong hard disk controller driver, or no controller driver. Thus I would suggest that you make certain that you have actually added the correct driver to your custom XP installation disk.

Jar, please attach your Last Session.ini as requested in the BOLD RED letters above. MoreOrLess is correct, I have seen the same thing before I started using nLite. Also please tell us (link) where you got your RAID drivers. We will take a look. Enjoy, John.

• 4 weeks later...

A good way to check if you have the correct drivers and whether the BIOS is set properly is to attempt a F6 Floppy install to confirm this. If it works, then there is a problem with the nLite build, possibly corruption. I would also check the OS disk itself to see if it will complete a standard c: drive install before creating another nLite.

It is my experience that, almost invariably, a problem or incorrect setting was found early in a process, and that rechecking from the beginning actually saves time.

Personally, the farthest I would go is to integrate SP2, have at least 2 known good driver copies in two different locations, and a quality floppy drive. Seems the ones that come with HP, Dell, and IBM are always good, especially the older ones.

I am also a devout system image backup freak. I create a system image with either Windows or Norton Ghost. That way if something goes wrong, I could be up and running again in a few minutes instead of hours and days..... JC the updates on this beast....