ME install issues after motherboard swap

KevinR

I just swapped the internals of an old PC running ME, and haven't a more more up to date windows to put on it.

I used the "delete the hardware enum" trick to make it recognise the new hardware. That seems quite stable and has even picked up VIA IDE drivers and the USB correctly.

Had problems with InstallShield bombing out and solved most of that by renaming the /program files/common/installshield* and /program files/installshield*. It seemed to have retained stuff that clashed with either the installs being run or the system.

The thing is trying to install the RealTek sound drivers still gives a problem AFTER the reboot. Setup moves files on the reboot OK but after getting into windows gives an error -5006: 0x80070005 setupdll\setupdll.cpp(1209). I suspect this relates to a slightly broken or confused registry because of the hardware change.

Has anyone any thoughts or advice? ccleaner didn't show anything.

Hi :

Just as a pasing thought ...and if you have not already,

Boot in safe mode and goto Device manager and remove

any and all sound devices shown there. Then check ...

"C:\windows\inf\other\" for any sound card inf files shown

there. Move them to some out of the way place.

Then see if pointing to the right drivers let's them install

correctly when you reboot!

HTH

Jake

Edited by triger49

Can you list here what hardware exactly did you swap? Also, uninstall all unneeded drivers/software that belonged to the old hardware that no longer exist on your machine (And tell us what you did).

It seems like some old, derelict driver/software is conflicting with your installshield programs. It is known that installshield does cause problems for some people though.

Sounds like your mainboard drivers may also be messed up.

Boot in safe mode and goto Device manager and remove

any and all sound devices shown there.

Yes, do that.

Then check... "C:\windows\inf\other\" for any sound card inf files shown

there. Move them to some out of the way place.

Some of the driver files are listed there as "oemx.inf", where x is a number. Just delete those files if they are old drivers that are not for any hardware in your system.

I used the "delete the hardware enum" trick to make it recognise the new hardware. That seems quite stable and has even picked up VIA IDE drivers and the USB correctly.

I am not familiar with this trick... but something tells me that you should not do that (May cause some harmful side-effects?)! If you need to do that, there must be something very wrong with your Windows installation.

Your PC with a VIA chipset should work on Windows ME though. I used to have Windows ME on a system with a VIA 686B chipset, and it did not have any problems. Just make sure that you install the correct chipset driver from VIA for your chipset before installing any other device driver (This may also solve hardware detection/installation issues on new Windows 9x installations, sometimes even on Windows NT 5.x).

Had problems with InstallShield bombing out and solved most of that by renaming the /program files/common/installshield* and /program files/installshield*. It seemed to have retained stuff that clashed with either the installs being run or the system.

Don't do that either! Doing so may break the uninstall capability of the other programs that use installshield on your system! Also, it doesn't really solve anything as your underlying issue is still there.

The thing is trying to install the RealTek sound drivers still gives a problem AFTER the reboot. Setup moves files on the reboot OK but after getting into windows gives an error -5006: 0x80070005 setupdll\setupdll.cpp(1209). I suspect this relates to a slightly broken or confused registry because of the hardware change.

You're quite right. Driver installation problems may be caused by old derelict device drivers/software that were not properly uninstalled.

Edited by sp193