Usb Mice Do Not Work After Imaging

I am new to this forum and I really hope I have my topic in the right place. I work for a school district and I am in charge of creating the computer images for the district. I am at my wits end with this issue! :wacko:

While creating the image, I can use any USB mouse or keyboard in any of the computers USB slots. After imaging, the computer momentarily recognizes the USB mouse but the mouse does not work. I created images for the past 4 years and this is the first year I have been faced with this issue. This issue happens with or without using sysprep.

When the USB mouse is first inserted, the computer recognizes something is inserted. The computer gives the audible tones and in the Device Manager an entry is under Human Interface Devices called: USB Human Interface Device. This entry will disappear when the mouse is taken out and will reappear when the mouse is inserted. But the mouse doesn't work.

I have searched for this issue and everything I have tried does not seem to make the USB mice work. And I have tried many, many things.

I am greatly appreciative of any help! Thanks so much! :yes:

Edited by PC_LOAD_LETTER
Fixed topic title. please see rule 11

do ps/2 input devices work?

do other usb devices function (storage or otherwise)?

has this issue been replicated on multiple systems with the same image?

.......and assuming you have tried multiple usb mice/keyboards to rule out the devices

Edited by iamtheky

Thank you for your quick responses!

PS2 Mice work without any issues. I've tried numerous USB mice and keyboards with the same problem: The system recognizes the device but it doesn't work. The issue appears on multiple hardware platforms. We are using Zen 10 and PXE to image from our SAN storage. There is no problem when inserting USB drives in the computers, they are seen without any problem.

We're using Zenworks 7 on NDS right now, and about to migrate to ZEN10 and we've been pxe booting for years.

That said, I've noticed that after imaging, especially on our old systems, I work in a school district and 60+% of all our computers are single core P4s with 256 megs of RAM running XP Pro SP3.

It takes about 3 - 5 minutes for me to be able to use a USB mouse or keyboard because the computers are so old and slow.

It sounds like because you're in device manager watching the driver get installed, that you're past my problem, just thought I would share my input; and also that my issue is not directly related to using ZENworks or PXE booting the images. We also are not using sysprep

Here's a question though - if you make a test image following the same steps as before, but use sysprep -mini -reseal -pnp to force a pnp reseal and reboot into mini setup and then reboot back into windows (don't capture it, just see what happens after sysprep), does it work?

If so, the problem happens after you seal it (with ZEN) and I've heard of issues like this before with ZEN imaging, for what it's worth.

I will have to create an image, since the issue doesn't show up on the computer I create the image on. That's a huge problem. In the past I have always used sysprep; mini;no new ids; and reseal. I am creating an image now including the PNP option. I will have to bring the image down onto another machine to test. I will let you know what happens. Thanks! ;)