login authentication issues with Sever 2000 resources

aquim

I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista a few days ago. Seemed to go real smooth. However, I am unable to connect to a printer that is connected to a Windows 2000 Server as I used too. When I try to connect to the server I get a Windows Security authentication window, I entered my name and password it keeps returning with a failed login of either the user name or password. I know they are correct because I am using the same W7 machine to remote into the server to check other things and its settings. One thing I did notice is that it assumes I am in a domain - which happens to be my machine name n(atles=ast it keeps saying that on the authentication login popup) and I am not, I am in the workgroup - I checked. I am in the same workgroup as the server as well. I tried logging in with the workgroup credentials with "other user" workgroup\name as the login and the password still won't work?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

aquim

If you're using an account that exists on the remote W2K server, and you're sure it's good, you might want to get a network trace of the whole auth scheme - I'm guessing the W2K box is either using an auth scheme that's disabled by default on Win7, or you need to use .\<user> and <password> to print.

If you save out a network trace somewhere we can look, perhaps we can help further. Otherwise, try connecting with .\<user> rather than machine\user or any other combo and see if it works.