Windows 7 registry edit

nutcr0cker

I am trying to delete one USB key in windows 7 x86. I am logged in as the the admin. However when I try to delete a registry key(USB device) I always get error while deleting a key. I tried the permissions by setting the admin account as the owner but I get error registry editor cannot set the owner. Anyone else enounter this one.

TIA

Right click the registry key > Select Permissions > Advanced

Some permissions will say <notinherited> and we will get to them later. First, tell me how many permissions are "Inherited From" and from where. Then we need to find that key and change the settings at that location.

In this case a picture does say a thousand words, snap a jpeg of the advanced tab would be the most painless way, otherwise, if have to guess, look for an inherited read-only permission for "RESTRICTED" and go to its source and make it full control. And once you have full control you should be able to delete them.

Side Note, some stuff is "Owned" by TrustedInstaller, if that is the case, might need add a second step, to "Take Ownership". Use the Owner tab to do this.

Thanks for the reply MrJinje. Thst exactly is my problem. By default win7 only gives the system full rights. The owner has only read only rights. Is there anyway to set the owner rights to full control. Since trying it through the permissions or advanced tab gives you permission denied error.

Regards

nutcr0cker

Is there anyway to set the owner rights to full control. Since trying it through the permissions or advanced tab gives you permission denied error.
Yes, like I alluded too in my previous post, you need to make the change on the registry key that you are inheriting the restriction from. Look at the "Inherited From" field on the most restrictive setting in the bunch (you liekly want the one that says read-only), find it's key and fix it there.

If that is too complicated, can always just snap me this screenie from the key you want to delete, and I will tell you exactly where you need to go. This is the page I need to see to be able to answer your question.

cc982153.fig02(en-us).gif

Or just find the most restrictive setting and go to the source key and make the changes there. If the "Inherited From" field says it was inherited from CURRENT_USER, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, right click and make the change at the source.