Trouble identifying OS after attempting dual-boot

Gendreavus

So I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and am very happy with it, with the exception of the fact that certain programs that are very important to me, such as Audacity, crash frequently while using it. I decided that the easiest way to remedy this would be to dual-boot my computer with Win7 and XP. I set a 10 GB partition aside for the installation of XP and managed (after some trouble) to get it installed.

However, now my computer is not finding any operating systems, even after running the startup repair as well as using BCDedit in the command prompt on the boot disk for Win7. One odd thing I've noticed is that while in the command prompt window, it will not let me leave the XP partition to go to the Win7 partition. I don't know if this is the source of my problems, or if I'm just not using the right method, all I do know is that instead of being able to do more with my computer I am now left without a usable computer at all, and this upsets me very much. Any help at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

-Edit-

So in the 14 minutes since I posted this, a friend managed to do something that got that problem out of the way (He says he found something telling him to input bootrec /fixMBR and bootrec /fixBoot into the command prompt). I'm staring at the XP installation screen right now and am about to input the product key. Everything seems to be running fine now, so thanks to those who were willing to help and I hope that if others have a similar problem it is as surprisingly easy to solve as it was for me!

-Edit 2-

So XP installed seemingly without a hitch, and when my computer restarted it brought me to the screen where I choose the OS to load. I went to test out XP, but almost immediately after selecting it the computer restarts completely, looping me back to the OS selection screen. I am able to access Windows 7 now, and am hoping that I can do something to get XP running. Again, any help at all is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Gendreavus

Audacity worked last time I cheeked since 7000 build and current one both on x64 and x86.

Now as far as I know, you'll want to install Vista/XP before 7, as the win7 bootloader can rewrite the current one and replace it. What I know of is that the bootloader is flagged as 0: to be the first section to be loaded before anything else. Now your probably seeing the Win7 and the other one from XP. Now since XP is goddamn old it couldn't possibly detect the Win7 version which say Linux distros can like Ubuntu and you like either choose to use Window's version or end up with the Linux one (if you happen to install any major Linux distro after Win7 in this case).

It's like this: Win7 creates a partition for the bootloader or any other stuff that might be "crucial".

XP places it in the current partition that it's stored on unless I'm mistaken here. And having now way for this pos of detecting the Win7 stuff like this happens.

Anyways I don't think I've helped at all, so someone more experienced have to take this at hand. I've had this problem in the past and stayed out of this since then. It was a simple boot with a Ubuntu CD boot. (and something much older once, I used this in the past that was some kind of Win clone to save/restore files or w/e.) So I booted it up, saved all crucial files and settings and deleted the partitions then started a new. I often keep ~20gb partitions for OS's so it's easy to move around data. Just remember XP first then comes any newer OS which can make XP use it's bootloader instead.

I know there's a way to edit the bootloader sequence but you'll need safe mode for that at least or something which will let you edit files like the ubuntu cd for example and go from there. But that's as much as I can help ya with, best of luck!