Sort order [s]doesnt[/s] DOES matter in Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Pac

I've always sorted my updates either by KB number or date but I discovered last night that nLite will check the version number of the files and not replace a newer one with an older one. This even works with addons that contain dlls of different versions.

Just a heads up.

EDIT:

I've recently discovered that I was wrong. nLite does not check certain extensions!

Always order by date with the oldest first.

Edited by -X-

-X-, it would really surprise me that the update order did not matter. I think it is the MS update process that respects version numbers/order. I know Kurt_Aust goes to great length to have the updates in the correct order in his x64 thread. I hope others will comment. Enjoy, John.

as -X- stated, then nLite won't overwrite newer files with older ones, so in general the order shouldn't matter...

Also, as johnhc stated, then the msft provided slipsteaming method(the '/integrate' switch), which nLite reverts to on unsupported updates, also won't overwrite newer files with older ones...

However, there can still be some issues where the order is relevant nonetheless(like IE upgrades and it's updates etc.)...

Edited by Martin H

-X-, I am not arguing that MS/nLite don't prevent newer version files from being overwritten by older ones. Some time ago I looked a little more deeply into the MS update process and saw all kinds of weird controls, including the GDR and QFE types of fixes. I hope Kurt_Aust will comment here. Enjoy, John.

[...]Some time ago I looked a little more deeply into the MS update process and saw all kinds of weird controls, including the GDR and QFE types of fixes.[...]

nLite uses the QFE branch where possible...

Updates generally includes both a GDR and a QFE branch, whereas hotfixes only includes a QFE branch...

When installing the updates on an installed system, then the GDR branch is used, and the QFE branch is only used if previously having a hotfix installed for the affected files.

The difference between the two branches is that the QFE branch is cumulative and includes all the extra bugfixes from previously released hotfixes for the affected files, whereas the GDR branch doesn't, since those extra bugfixes hasen't been through enough regression testing yet, and also is only related to non-widespread and non-critical issues...

Edited by Martin H