Orb as start button in XP setup

Guest xman

How do I silently integrate a Vista-like orb as a startup button into my XP Pro installation cd? Can I put one without having to link a theme to it?

Thanx.

Edited by xman

xman, Google can be your friend, or not, here. This link shows how to change the Start button in several ways, but perhaps not like you want to do. I have changed the text on mine but nothing else. Changing the theme sometimes changes the text. It seems these things are not simple. Basically you have to use a Resource Editor to edit explorer.exe and replace the appropriate bitmaps. More Googling may be more fruitful for you. Once you have explorer.exe like you want it, you simply place it in the $$ folder in the $OEM$ folder - the easy part. Enjoy, John.

xman, Google can be your friend, or not, here. This link shows how to change the Start button in several ways, but perhaps not like you want to do. I have changed the text on mine but nothing else. Changing the theme sometimes changes the text. It seems these things are not simple. Basically you have to use a Resource Editor to edit explorer.exe and replace the appropriate bitmaps. More Googling may be more fruitful for you. Once you have explorer.exe like you want it, you simply place it in the $$ folder in the $OEM$ folder - the easy part. Enjoy, John.

Thanx John, it's a really useful link. I'll give it a try.