Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

I checked both and I think it has something to do with the HDD/Disk IO activity

hiberread="10115000" resume="74737000">

it takes long 10s to read the hibernation file. Than the 60s gap occurs. When you open the etl with the viewer you can see a lot of driver delays. I dumped the driver delays into a text file and saw that the IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe/ (intel storage), NclUSBSrv.exe ( Nokia USB Media Server/PC Connectivity Solution) reads data during resume. Can you stop this Nokia software and disconnect your Nokia E52 while doing the hibernation?

When i hibernate I always have disconnetec phone.

Also I power off Nokia Suite and kill NclUSBSrv.

Situation - the same. ~60 sekund delay blak screen (disk zero blink).

Disk i check its in excellent condition.

Wow. Looks like this is the place for the help I may need. I am trying to troubleshoot intermittent slow boots with Windows 7. I have run a number of test passes and have logs from bootmgr runs.

It seems like I have pain both in MainBootPath (WinlogonInit) and in PostExplorer but I am focused on teh WInLogonInit. Looking at the xperfview it seemed that the AppV client (sftlist) and the Lenovo MICMUTE services were causing the problem. Disabling them in the production machine seemed to improve performance (Link) but in the test machine, the performance still sucks.

The machines are running SSD.

The other odd thing (to me, maybe not to you guys) is that the time hog in WInLogonInit seems to switch between WInlogonInit.Profiles and WinLogonInit.GP Client. Any thoughts?

Traces http://cid-e8b5bbf49ba20713.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=4

Two for the Production Machine (All Services and then with the two suspects disabled) and two for the test machine (which is not reproducting the improvement in behavior)

Any.all help is appreciated.

If it is helpful:

Test Pass PreSMSS SMSSInit WinLognoInit ExplorerInit PostExplorer (Not in MainBootPath) Test Pass CreateSession Logon Logon.Profiles Logon.GPClient StartShell

Normal Run 3628 9203 178985 2893 71700 Normal Run 326 160281 156497 3778 6

Run 5 3707 8733 169326 4547 43000 Run 5 168 154490 47184 107283 4

Run 6 3316 9428 173920 5159 55100 Run 6 168 168327 168252 1 2

Run 7 3255 8850 59273 2031 33900 Run 7 83 54272 50930 3336 38

Edited by OldSchool76

Hi Derek,

the productivity PC hangs while loading the profile. Is this a roaming profile? I can also see that the repdrvfs.dll causes CPU usage on your second CPU core during this time. This DLL belongs to the WMI service. My guess is that McAfee is doing WMI queries. Update it to McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 5 or completely disable it for testing. Is it better?

Hi Derek,

the productivity PC hangs while loading the profile. Is this a roaming profile? I can also see that the repdrvfs.dll causes CPU usage on your second CPU core during this time. This DLL belongs to the WMI service. My guess is that McAfee is doing WMI queries. Update it to McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 5 or completely disable it for testing. Is it better?

We have test running with McAfee 8.8 that show a 30% improvement. I will run another pass with it completely removed.

The Profile issue is the one that is vexing. The test machine only has one user and it is not a romaing profile. (Will double check, but that is not our default configuration) Furthermore, on 3 test runs on the Test PC, the folowing pattern emerges:

WinLogonInit Breakdown

Test Pass CreateSession Logon Logon.Profiles Logon.GPClient StartShell

1 104 164309 161111 3191 3

2 75 187395 72991 114395 2

3 176 110287 110246 0 2

I wish there was a batter way to format that for you but the delay moves from PRofiles to GP Client.

Test pass 1 is in default config (you have that trace)

Test pass 2 is with MICMUTE and SFTLIST Disabled

Test Pass 3 is with all Lenovo services disabled (admittedly a shot in the dark)

Why would the delay flip flop? No policy changes are happening.

I uploaded three new tests (additional executions)

5 - All Services Enabled (Baseline)

6 - AppV and MICMUTE OFF - McAfee On

7 - AppV and MICMUTE ON - McAfee OFF

Boot performance still seems to suck. I agree that the Profile section seems odd but have come up with nothing yet.

SkyDrive Link: http://cid-e8b5bbf49ba20713.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

New Zips with ETL

run ProcessMonitor (from sysinterals) and enable boot logging. DON't reboot and run this xbootmgr command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER+Network -stackwalk profile  -resultPath C:\TEMP

this reboots the PC. When the xbootmgr countdown is done, run ProcMon again and stop the trace. Save the trace as a PMl file. Now generate the XML and look at which time you have the delays in loading the profiles. Now go into the ProcMon trace and exlude 8set the filer) the events before and after the profile loading. Now look at the Duration column what takes some time.

I'm having a problem with a new PC build (Win7 64 HP) that won't resume from S3 half the time (power LED carries on flashing, pressing it once does nothing except make a click sound once, holding down switch for >5 seconds does nothing, and I have to switch it off at the PSU to switch the computer off). I've installed the SDK and I think I've produced the correct trace output, but I can't see anything particularly wrong from the summary XML output, but this is the first time I've tried to use this software, so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

If someone would please help me analyse the trace data, I would really appreciate it. Just let me know whether I need to upload all of the files in the output folder or just the summary XML.

I've basically tried everything that I can think of. I'm using the same drivers as I did for my own PC which has the same board, and I've reinstalled the system several times which different drivers and all optional hardware disabled.

Edited by mikeymikec

Hi Andre

I've been plagued with slow shutdown issues for months and have recently discovered xperf but I'm struggling to make head or tails of it...

I've run the following command to generate 3 traces:

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceFlags Latency+DISPATCHER+BASE+CSWITCH -StackWalk CSwitch+ReadyThread+ThreadCreate+Profile -noPrepReboot -numRuns 3 -resultpath %systemdrive%\traces -postBootDelay 60

When this had completed I generated the XML files for each using the following:

xperf -i "shutdown_Latency+DISPATCHER+BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl" -o shutdown1.xml -a shutdown

I can see from each of these files that there are 2 areas that are causing an issue: NTShutdownSystem and IoShutDownSystem @ 183 seconds and 80 seconds respectively

-<intervals>

<interval duration="179" endTime="4792" startTime="4613" name="WaitForWinstationShutdown"/>

<interval duration="367" endTime="5333" startTime="4966" name="PreShutdownNotification"/>

<interval duration="183682" endTime="193548" startTime="9866" name="NtShutdownSystem"/>

<interval duration="-1" endTime="-1" startTime="0" name="ZeroHiberFile"/>

<interval duration="148" endTime="112824" startTime="112676" name="FlushVolumes"/>

<interval duration="0" endTime="112825" startTime="112825" name="ZeroPageFile"/>

<interval duration="80007" endTime="192864" startTime="112857" name="IoShutdownSystem"/>

<interval duration="-1" endTime="-1" startTime="0" name="WaitForProcesses"/>

<interval duration="49" endTime="192913" startTime="192864" name="CmShutdownSystem"/>

</intervals

I'm not sure where to go from here and I'm hoping you can help me. I've uploaded a zipped .etl file from one of the traces to here:

http://goo.gl/DLUVS

you miss the DRIVERS flag to see if some drivers hang. IoShutdownSystem stops the file systems so driver delays can occur. I see you have Apple/IPod service. So remove the IPod before shutting down Windows.

If this doesn't fix it, make a new trace which includes the DRIVERS flag.

you miss the DRIVERS flag to see if some drivers hang. IoShutdownSystem stops the file systems so driver delays can occur. I see you have Apple/IPod service. So remove the IPod before shutting down Windows.

If this doesn't fix it, make a new trace which includes the DRIVERS flag.

Ok, I'll have another go. FWIW there was no iPod attached when the traces were performed.