Desktop Application Loading

I NEED HELP PLEASE !

Today, I had to re-install Windows XP PRO 64 Bit (Fresh new install) and all of the usual software (Anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc, etc) and updating everything because my raid array failed (RAID 0 + 1). Two out of the four Western digital hard drives went bad on me within a few hours. They must have been mishandled in shipping or something. Since most or all of my data was gone, I replaced all of my existing drives by 4 new WD RE3 enterprise edition hard drives and started from scratch. Re-installing Windows was a breeze and all of my other applications installed correctly. Here's my issue:

While starting back up again after installing an update, the computer froze in the desktop (I can move the mouse) while loading the applications in the lower right corner and the hourglass is showing all the time. Has anybody ever had this issue before; if so, any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. Thanks a lot !

PS - I have tried to repair Windows and the repair was successful but the same problem occurs as before. When the system is ready to load the desktop, it appears but the applications do not completely load and the hourglass appears where the pointer of my mouse was and it freezes there (I can still move it). Even the system time doesn't update. So I have to reset the computer again & again with no result.

Edited by Darkforce1

What does booting into safe mode do?

Thank You for replying. The system boots fine in safe mode and the desktop runs good but there are limited applications that load (antivirus only) on the right side. I can do malware & anti-virus scans while in safe mode; I can also update the spyware program (Malwarebytes) but cannot update the anti-virus one. I'm using Symantec Endpoint protection (V.11.0 64 Bit Corporate Edition). I will investigate this further. When I let the computer start normally, it will take me 2 or 3 re-boots to get a working desktop but the Intel Raid Manager will be checking and/or repairing the database every single time. I've had a Raid 0 on my son's computer for about 2 years now with no hitches at all; why is it so difficult to manage & maintain this RAID 0+1; Is it because of the 64 Bit OS ?

OK, now that we know things work in safe mode (at least as far as windows goes), let's get a crash dump of the system in a regular boot - you'll need to make some changes and reboot before you actually create the crash via the keyboard, and you'll need to have a PS/2 keyboard attached (or be using a laptop) - this will NOT work with a keyboard plugged into the USB port:

Memory dump of the entire system:

1. Create or set the following registry value:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

Value: CrashOnCtrlScroll

Type: REG_DWORD

Data: 1

2. Right-Click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop and select "Properties", then click the "Advanced tab. On the "Advanced" tab, click "Settings" under the "Performance" header. Click the "Advanced" tab, then click "Change" under "Virtual Memory". Set the pagefile to be located on the partition where the OS is installed, and set it to be equal to Physical RAM + 50 MB.

3. Also in the "System Properties" window on the "Advanced" tab, click the "Settings" buttun under the "Startup and Recovery" header. Make sure "Complete Memory Dump" is selected (see 3a if this is not in the list). You can change the location of the memory dump file to a different local partition if you do not have enough room on the partition where the OS is installed.

3a. If the "Complete Memory Dump" option in step 3 is not available, you will need to manually set this registry value:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

Value: CrashDumpEnabled

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 1

4. You will need to reboot for these changes to take effect.

5. The next time that the system is exhibiting the problem, hold down the RIGHT CTRL key and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice on your PS/2 keyboard to cause the machine to bugcheck (crash) and create a memory dump. After the box comes back up and you log back in (you may need to boot info safe mode w/ networking), you'll find the resulting memory dump file in %systemroot%\memory.dmp that can be copied off, zipped up, and uploaded somewhere so we can have a look at it.

Basically, these are ripped from the creating memory dumps post in this forum, for reference:

http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130003.html