Media Center on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

dpaulat

I have read some posts about this on this forum, and I have heard of people getting this to work, but I can't seem to find any decent information. In a nutshell, this is what I want to do. I have been using Media Center on Windows Vista and Windows 7, but I want to migrate all my media libraries over to my new Windows 2008 server that I have up and running. I could care less about viewing and listening to all this media on my server... the real point of it is I am trying to share this all with the XBox 360 in the other room.

At the moment, copying over any MCE executables would probably not be an option, as I am currently running Windows 7 x64 (unles, while my server is still has a 32 bit processor.

Does anyone have a good tutorial or advice on getting this working?

Looks like plenty of views with no response so far... so let me refine a few alternatives (I am not limited to these to get my functionality to work) that would suffice:

1. I got Windows Media Connect 2.0 working, and it streams my audio just fine. However, I cannot stream supported *.mpg files with it, that would normally be supported by the Windows Media Center. If there is a way to enable this, fantastic.
  2. Windows Media Player has a sharing feature, which should ideally be all I need, as this can share my *.mpg files. However, in Windows Server 2008, this is grayed out. There must be a way to enable this.

Edited by dpaulat

I did find that as well. My server is running Windows server 2008 32-bit. My Windows 7 machine is currently running a 64-bit OS, and the other computer I have runs Windows XP Professional (AFAIK no MCE available). I don't have a standard Vista 32-bit (what came installed on my 64-bit machine) install disc, but I do have the restore CDs and partition, I guess my next step is to try to extract MCE out of there if possible, unless anyone has a better idea for that :)