Offline video playing with XML subtitles.

Sfor

The web page video embeding with use of an external XML subtilte files is getting more polular. Just downloading the video file is not enough, now. It is necesary to download a separate XML file with subtitles, as well.

Still, it appears I do not know any video player for Windows 98 able to display subtitles in this format.

A sample:

<tt xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2006/10/ttaf1" xmlns:tts="http://www.w3.org/2006/04/ttaf1#style">
<head></head>
<body>
<div>
<p begin="00:00:25.0" end="00:00:26.5">A single line.</p>
<p begin="00:00:29.4" end="00:00:34.6">- First line.<br />- Second line.</p>
</div>
</body>
</tt>

According to my research it looks like the Timed Text CS3 format. But, there are some small differences, as there is "dur" in place of "end" statement.

So, the possible solutions would be either:

- to find a proper player with ability to display subtitles in the current form

- to find a converter to some more popular subtitle format

- to write a converter by yourself

I have little experience with various subtitle formats, software players and converters. So, I've decided to ask for some advice, first.

Edited by Sfor

Right. I did some research. It is possible to convert formats using an online subtitle editor at http://subtitle-horse.org/ . As a result I'm getting an .SRT file but:

- the converter does not work correctly with national characters in UTF-8 format. It is necesary to convert to Windows codepage first.

- the line breaks in multi line statements are not converted correctly in the .SRT

- there are other export formats available, but I have no idea how to use them with the GOM player.

And yet another nuisance. The newest GOM player does seem to do stupid things on screen, when displaying SRT files in the full screen mode. Every time a text ending with ".pl" is displayed the player does strange screen effect.

The test example SRT subtitle file for this phenomenon:

00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:26,500
www.clannad.wbijam.pl

The problem seems to be related to Windows 98, somehow. I've failed to reproduce it on Windows 2000.

-------------------------------

I've found a workaround. The problem happens when High-Quality Subtitle (VMR) output was selected in initial config screen. With the "Normal Subtitle" setting everything works as expected.

I've compared the settings. To be more specific the "Display on overlay surface" option is responsible for the problem.

The Subtitle horse save to file fuction destroys national characters. It is necesary to use the export window and clipboard, in order to get the valid SRT file data. Looks like the line breaks are working better that way, as well.

But perhaps it could be browser or system related issue.

Edited by Sfor