Making it work

hbs_net

As I was trying to find some answers, I can across this issue in my search. It is very close to my issue with couple exception. I don't care which O/S I use, but it will be XP or 2003. Getting the system to reconize any hard drive is crazy at this point. It sees the ATA hdd in the bios (which I did redo cmos), but not the SCSI. I have tried as was done by the other person and still my results are basically the same. When I try to do an O/S install..."NO HDD" is found. So who ever helped him, will you please help me...hbs

I'm trying to get XP PRO installed (as opposed to server 2003)

I slipstreamed in the drivers "IBM ServeRAID driver v7.10 for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP" from http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/sup...x=Y&psid=bm

And it isn't picking them up/loading them . .

When I extract the .exe the driver comes in there are three folders.. winnt win2003 and I think 2003 something else

I slipstreamed all three in when I was creating the XP Pro disk using Nlite..

What am I doing all wrong?

I've never used raid before..

When the thing boots there is an LSI config.. CTRL+C.. I went in there and told it NO on both drives for mirrored pair..

The bios doesn't see these at all

There are two 36gb SCSI drives..

Can I use raid through XP to split the drives?

Or do they have to be mirrored?

Do I have to use raid?

Edited by hbs_net

Hi!

- It's normal that the Mobo's Bios doesn't show your Scsi disks if the Scsi host has its own Bios.

- With some Raid host Bios (Promise), you have to define a Raid array containing a single disk in order to access this disk. And for sure, you need to have some actions at the Raid host's Bios - to the very least, let it recognize the disks. The Raid Host's manual should help you.

- I would definitely use first an F6 floppy, and only later try to slipstream the driver in the install Cd.

W2k (and I guess Xp and 2k3) allows to take the F6 driver from a Cd if you don't have a floppy drive - but adding a drive would be a better idea.

- Xp has its own behaviour with uncertified drivers (I know W2k better, and Xp is more touchy here). Could it, during a Win installation, reject the driver without asking for instructions, and hence not see the disks, just because of a lack of certification? Hope other people can tell it better.

- Having to use Raid... The less easy part of your install is configure the Raid host and introduce the driver. Raid-0 isn't more complicated then. As a pair of 36GB Scsi is born for Raid-0, use them that way! They should be much faster than modern S-Ata 7200rpm drives.

- Do you discover Raid and try to install Win on it at the same time? This is the most difficult (~impossible) way!

I strongly recommend that you first install Win and boot on some P-Ata (or S-Ata) disk and build your Raid-0 array separately, install the driver, and play with the array. At least, a running Win will give you detailed answers if it doesn't swallow a driver. And you can quickly experiment the effect of varied Raid options.

Then install Win on the Raid with an F6 floppy. Later, you may slipstream the driver.

Raid through Xp... Do you mean the Raid feature offered by dynamic volumes? I don't recommend it!

- W2k3 probably won't understand what Xp has done. Another Xp on another machine won't read your disks if this machine fails.

- Unable to boot

- Cpu load

- If reinstalling Xp on this same machine, you lose all the volumes you defined - even the data volumes you separated from the OS

-----

So Raid through W2k-Xp-2k3's dynamic volumes is rather a bad solution... The good one is to define the Raid array through the Raid host (=Lsi). After that, Win will see a single disk which you can partition as if it were a 72GB one.

By the way... No idea if Xp has similar limitations, but W2k needs to have its Sp4 (slipstreamed if needed) to install properly on a Raid array. If not, it may work with some stripe sizes and not with other sizes... (Saw it by myself)

Edited by pointertovoid