Win7 32-Bit Changes After ISO Build

GeorgeIoak

I followed the instructions in the "Windows 7 (32 BIT) Feature Removal & Optimaization Guide" and I succesfully made it through the 26 steps. My "technician" machine is running WinXP x64 and I built a target for a Win7Extreme32 to be tested on a different system. I thought I would first test the ISO by installing VirtualBox and having it mount my new ISO.

Everything started well but then I got the message that I was missing a CD/DVD driver and the setup could not continue. As a test I tried a different VirtualBox session and installed Win7 directly from the original Win7 DVD and that successfully installed.

My WinXPx64 machine has a RAID configuration so I thought maybe I would go back and add back in some of the components that I stripped out but when I started Vlite again everything is gone except for the components that I left in the build.

I must just be missing something but I've searched the forums and can't see how to add things back in or start all over.

Edited by GeorgeIoak

Yup, the canned answer is to use a vanilla load, I would also suggest using a legit version......

...but I am hella cynical and would totally assume this is the warez 'windows 7 extreme'...

edit::::...though the possibility remains that you liked the name on the sticky so much you adopted it for your load, but again I only see the evil in everybody :)

Edited by iamtheky

because you picked the name of a popular warez copy and lines like "cant see how to start all over" only serve to further the doubts.....

This would have been the third posting in a row of that sort, so you caught more of a WTH? answer than I usually provide.

Starting from scratch is indeed what I would do in this case, especially if you thoroughly upended the original. And I have begun dropping the collections from driverpacks, they are super for making a more generic load.

OK, I downloaded the presets and names straight from this forum but I was curious why they used the name Extreme instead of the real name of Ultimate.

The reason I was trying this was because I was attempting to strip down the version of Win7 to install on an Intel Atom based system. It was going to be used for demonstration of a custom program and I didn't want people to go in and mess with things.

So in theory when you use vLite for creating Win7 ISOs aren't you able to go back in your configuration and add or subtract things until you get it right or do you have to start all over each time you try a new build? Right now it seems I have to completely start all over because almost all of the components are missing and I had thought that if I loaded the original preset it would bring back all the "options".

I need to go back and triple check but I remember reading about that and making sure I did copy that setup file off of the DVD as detailed in steps 20 and 21.

I'm still confused about the process though of tweaking your ISO after you've made it or even trying to run vLite from the beginning. It seems that I'll have to delete everything and start from step 1 again but that seems wrong. I would have expected to be able to go back in after you've made your ISO and then add something back in that you removed by "mistake" but I don't see how to do that now.