Installing Windows XP Pro, OEM

torchkc

Hello everybody.

I'm attempting to format/reinstall on an HP D350 machine. However, I do not have the original Windows CD that came with it. I do, however, have the OEM sticker on the case still..with PID still in-tact.

What I've tried to do is use another WinXP CD to install from and simply use the PID from the sticker. This resulted in a failed install (says the PID was invalid).

Next thing I tried was the details from this page : http://msfn.modrica.com/board/lofiversion/...hp/t117527.html

I tried just about every variation on the page, with no luck.

I was hoping somebody might have a suggestion on how I can proceed. It's my mother's machine, and she won't stop pestering me until it's done.

HP d530 : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...ng=en&cc=us

Windows XP Pro

Thanks in advance.

... What I've tried to do is use another WinXP CD to install from ...
Not enough info here. Exactly what did you use?

To cut to the chase, you always need to use a disc that matches your retailer (HP, Dell, eMachines), the version of XP (Home, Pro, MCE), and the type of install (OEM or Retail). Your sticker will tell you everything you need to know.

What you will most likely need to locate is an HP OEM branded re-install CD-ROM for WinXP Pro. This is what you need to find (try contacting them directly before going to eBay).

Using this disc will likely result in a simple re-install without activation assuming it was a standard OEM Retailer SLP arrangement (the installer will sniff your motherboard and see if it is qualified). Worse case scenario is a free phone call to MS with you describing your legitimate sticker and the circumstances.

Somewhat related discussion in this thread, read post #6.

Not enough info here. Exactly what did you use?

I used a retail CD which didn't work.

To cut to the chase, you always need to use a disc that matches your retailer (HP, Dell, eMachines), the version of XP (Home, Pro, MCE), and the type of install (OEM or Retail). Your sticker will tell you everything you need to know.

The sticker says "Windows XP Professional 1-2PC". It does not specify OEM, nor does it have any additional information (aside from the PID and info about the pc). Considering it's an HP, however, I assume it is OEM.

What you will most likely need to locate is an HP OEM branded re-install CD-ROM for WinXP Pro. This is what you need to find (try contacting them directly before going to eBay).

This is what I was trying to avoid doing. Haven't exactly had much luck with HP support in the past.

Worse case scenario is a free phone call to MS with you describing your legitimate sticker and the circumstances.

Would rather do this than the former. :P

I know the PC is legit, and has a legit copy of WinXP. My mother got it from a local school which had a deal with HP to give low end PC's to students taking a specific class. I've formatted/reinstalled before, but I'm pretty sure I used the CD that came with it last time..I could be mistaken.

Either way, thanks for the input. If anybody else happens to know another way around it, I'd appreciate the suggestions. Not looking to circumvent the legality..it is a legit setup with a legit PID.

Side question.. Would running the Recovery CD make a difference? That I do have, but it doesn't have the OS on that CD. It even specifies that I would need the Windows CD to reinstall Windows.

If any additional information is needed, don't hesitate to let me know. :)

Edit : Another thing.. If I acquired an HP OEM CD from other "sources", would that work or is each CD specific to a certain model? I'm not sure how OEM's handle that. What's the legality of that, either way, considering I have the legit PID?

Edited by torchkc

Indeed - unlike Vista/Win7, each XP CD is specific to the version on it, and you can't use an OEM CD to install retail keys, and vice-versa. This is expected.
The sticker says "Windows XP Professional 1-2PC". It does not specify OEM, nor does it have any additional information (aside from the PID and info about the pc). Considering it's an HP, however, I assume it is OEM.
This branding changes over the years, and it would seem there should be an OEM name on it, but it's not *required*. It's a bit odd, but it's not impossible to find an OEM license / COA without the OEM name on it if it's a refurb or overstocked machine that HP unloaded.
This is what I was trying to avoid doing. Haven't exactly had much luck with HP support in the past.
Unfortunately, MS doesn't provide OEM CDs directly - calling MS for an HP OEM CD isn't going to get you anywhere (especially considering it's XP, which is out of mainstream support). You are probably going to have to contact HP ultimately, especially if this was a recovery-partition-only machine.

dang! I just looked at a bunch of mine and yep, Manufacturer and Version are always listed, but OEM and Retail is sometimes missing. The system builder edition tags seem to always say OEM (this is probably not you) but the retail store model tags mostly do not have it. So, I agree with you, assume OEM. MS has a good page on this here: http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content...g=en&pg=coa

And that pretty much proves it is OEM.

I hear you, but, talk to them anyway. They really should offer the disc for like a $10 meda and shipping charge. They might even have a CDROM disc image you can download and burn. And yes, I was referring to contacting HP. Definitely don't bother MS over this, they washed their hands clean from any involvement with all things OEM. Microsoft gets the phone call only after you have the CD and activation fails.

You should realize that you are much better off with this solution even though the correct CDROM for this model is going to be SP2 at best or possibly even older, because, you can then process this CD with nlite or similar techniques and create a fresh SP3 custom install disc. And if your motherboard is still the same (actually the BIOS), and you mind your OEMBIOS files, you will have a fully legal no activation scenario. This is as good as it gets on Windows XP legally.

Side question.. Would running the Recovery CD make a difference? That I do have, but it doesn't have the OS on that CD. It even specifies that I would need the Windows CD to reinstall Windows.

It is very likely that a so-called recovery disc in this case means it either contains a raw HDD image (with the OS and other apps all set up on a set of discs) to be plastered onto your system ... or ... it has software to access a hidden partition which may yet still exist on this computer and again plasters an image from there to your system. I guess a 3rd possibility is that it has no operating system functionality at all and it merely screws things up by re-installing all the bloatware. IMHO, I can envision no good coming from the use of one of these discs.

Any of these recovery scenarios can be accurately described as icky. :P This is common practice nowadays for laptops and even desktops (accessed through some BIOS menu selection), usually after the internet and viruses have caused the system to go FUBAR. But real men (and women ;) ) have custom CDROMS and/or recent disk images for doing it the best way.

You should be able to get the CD from HP for free, even if it is out of warranty. Dell does that for sure, but not sure about HP. When I ordered my Upgrade to Win 7 from toshiba, it's the only company that charged me 20$, somewhere I remember reading all the other companies send it out for free. Anyway call HP, or try a chat session if they have one, it's easier.