Re-enable search on XP

Sp0iLedBrAt

Hi, I'm still not sure what I could have done to provoke this, but a few days ago I wanted to perform a search using the built-in search engine in XP and... nothing. The only thing that appeared is the helper dog; no combo boxes to choose your criteria from. There is even no text on the blue bar at the top of the window if you choose search from the Start menu, press F3 anywhere or right-click any folder or hard disk to choose it.

I'm not using Windows Desktop Search (if that helps).

Internet search for this issue has, I'm afraid, not been very successful.

If there is a solution to this, like a .reg file or something, I would be much grateful. I'd really hate it if I had to do another install just for this.

OK, meanwhile I installed Windows Desktop Search 4.0 and restored some of the functions, but not the search companion option. It's, I'm afraid, the same nuisance as before, with endless indexing and sucking RAM and CPU time with 4-5 processes.

Can anybody tell me the basic files the old Windows search uses so I can look them up, add them or simply check versions?

Thank you

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Search is in explorer; the trouble is that it is registry dependant. That is to say, explorer calls reg entries for it. If it doesn't see them, search won't work right.

I do not offhand know which XP happens to need.

• 2 weeks later...

When you install desktop search it take over and the regular search no longer come up.

You can edit the registry and return the old search

witht he following

How To Default To Search Companion With Windows Desktop Search 3

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\DS\ShowStartSearchBand 0

Rainey