Mapped Network Drives

DFTECH

To make a long story short, one of our servers crapped out on us and I am in the process of rebuilding.

AD is still in tact, but there are still some missing pieces.

I would like to create a login script to map all existing users to a network drive. (ie. - net use u: \\[sERVER]\users\%username% /yes) The trouble being, the \\[sERVER]\users folder isn't populated with all of the folders associated with each individual user. I had thought that it would automatically be created if the folder did not already exist, but that hasn't happened for me. I think I may be missing something and there are simply too many users to make the folders by hand. Is there any type of script that I can use to create the users folders?

I know I'm probably not explaining this properly, but hopefully someone gets what I'm trying to say. If not I can try to make it more clear.

it will be automatically created if you map the drive using active directory or redirected profiles/folders, not if your running a net use command

I would try running a mkdir \\server\users\%username%

then put net use u:\\server\users\%username%

that way it will make the folder first.

Sounds like what I am looking for. Question though: If that folder already exists, will the mkdir overwrite the exist folder? Like would it be a bad idea to include that mkdir in the login script itself?

it will be automatically created if you map the drive using active directory or redirected profiles/folders, not if your running a net use command

I would try running a mkdir \\server\users\%username%

then put net use u:\\server\users\%username%

that way it will make the folder first.

Edited by DFTECH

no, it will just say a subdirectory or file \\server\users\username already exists and exit to the next line.

One part I didn't really think of though is you will then need to set permissions on each new folder otherwise everyone will have access to everyones stuff..

I guess what I would do is actually how I ran things at my last place..

Redirect everybody's My Documents to the server and just tell everyone to save stuff there. That way you can just map it like you wanted to do (via \\server\users\%username%) and it will automatically create the folder like you want..

Also, one thing I noticed in my time is if you give users a mapped network drive they still might not use it.. but if you redirect their my documents.. that is where they just naturally save everything anyways.. so you dont really need to train your users any different..

SO yeah.. i change my mind.. I would redirect their my docs