Removing components from windows 7 image

Hi,

I have a small question

is it possible to remove components from the Windows 7 image (install.wim) by removing some files and tweaking the registry in the install image.

Let me clear this for you

For example if I want to remove notepad, I can mount the image using ImageX and the remove the file notepad.exe and modify some settings in the registry inside the image.

If it is possible could we make a list of most the components in windows 7 and their appropriate files and registry entries?

If that possible we could automate this easily by developing a program.

FYI I am used to nlite and unattended Windows XP and removing components from it. Also I never used Vista and never needed to make unattended or remove components from it.

Thanks

Edited by blue4603

vLite does exactly the thing you want

Yeah I know but vLite is not designed for Windows 7 and it has many issues with Windows 7. Also nuhi stopped its development.

So we need a replacement program.

If we can gather some information about the components and their files and registry settings it would be easy to create a similar program to vlite that is designed for Windows 7.

don't do it. It will break a lot of Windows features and also breaks the installation of service packs.

why not?

I think we need such a program and with some testing we could end up with a stable program that does not break things up.

no, deleting file you want is how vLite works. It WILL break SP support! Follow the guides posted here and don't remove the things which are known to cause issues.

man, you aren't getting my point. My point is that could we start a new project in which we test and research the components of windows 7 and figure out how could we remove them without breaking Windows 7?

Just forget about vLite. I am asking if we could develop a new software that works with Windows 7?

Regards

If you read through "Window7" and "vLite" forums, you`ll find

a lot of threads with same question and some projects creating such a tool.

I have read some of the guides. Most of them use vLite in one way or the other.I think we need a tool specifically for Windows 7. I suggest that we make a thread or sub-forum to start a new project and everyone should come and discuss and share his information on this issue.

Regards

wait until Stefan releases a new Version of his Win Integrator.

why wait?

we have expert members in this forum and we can start gathering information and collecting them in one place and start the process of creating a functional program.

Regards