64bit processor?

hakeem5454

Yes. You get drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website, but a DVD-ROM is not something you need to worry about having a driver for because Windows has had support built-in for them for more than a decade or so.

Edited by redxii

No that cant be it because I tried using a Windows 7 64bit cd and when i booted the cd, it gave me an error saying i needed to load a device driver for the dvd drive? and it tried scanning for drivers but nothing came up in the list? I tried looking on the HP site and i didnt find anything.

i have a Pavilion DV6660SE, with a pioneer dvd drive.

Where did you get the Windows 7 64-bit CD? Do you use vLite? The error might occur if setup.exe is missing from the sources folder on the CD (not the root of the CD, the 'sources' folder), usually from using some program like vLite to strip stuff out or maybe you downloaded a bad copy.

Go to HP's website, go to the downloads area, search for your computer, get the SATA/RAID drivers, save it to a flash drive, extract the files. Then go and install win 7, then at some point, you will be given the option of installing drivers. If you don't understand, just say so, and I will try my best to give you detailed instructions :).

I don't see a SATA/RAID driver for your model, the nForce chipset package doesn't contain one either.

Try to install again, post what the error/message is word for word.

Also, are you using a beta Win 7 or the final version, was the final version made available thru MSDNAA already?

Edited by redxii

Correct - this specific error, while not entirely helpful once it bubbles up to the user as a CD problem, is actually an indication that the media downloaded was bad. I've seen this quite a few times now, and 100% of the time the ISO download had failed in some way and a redownload (and CRC/hash check of the downloaded media to make sure it was valid) resolved the issue.

Hey guys, it was the DVD, probably a bad burn or download. I installed it just fine. The problem now is that i only have 2GB of memory, and my laptop doesnt work as smooth as it did with 32bit? should i just go back to 32bit? I see a big difference between 32 and 64bit(32bit being better :P)