Total black screen in Win2k3 Enterprise Trial on first login

survector

I've been googling this problem and it seems that you have to connect remotely to import some registry file from a working machine as the registry in Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 can do something to the login screen and put zeroes everywhere in the registry so it is all black.

Most people can see a login box and others see at least something and can hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit the tab and blindly enter the password and somehow get in. Others have got in via the command prompt.

I can't see anything. The monitor is still on (light on monitor power button is constantly on, indicating it works).

I'm dual booting with Windows XP and the purpose of me using the trial is to convert it into a workstation as outlined here on MSFN. I did it 3 years ago using the same hardware and it was fine after installing.

The only change to my hardware is that I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB 8x AGP card.

I tried Safe Mode and it shows some scrolling text as it usually does in WinXP, but then the screen goes black again.

I tried hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL and hitting enter (no password) and it doesn't do anything.

I really appreciate any help. It seems the problems other folks have involves a bad registry setting, but they can at least see something. I can't see anything. Thanks!

Regards,

Paul