MDT 2010 Capture Only Task Sequence

Hey all I have a isue that I can't figure out. I am using MDT 2010 to deploy windows 7 Ent, I have been using MDT 2008 for sometime now. Let me run through what I have done so far. I have installed MDT 2010 and all needed componets, I have of course added the OS, drivers, created a deploment share, and a task sequence to use to build my Win 7 image. A new task sequnce that came with MDt 2010 is a capture Only task. I have created it, and updated the deployment share. From my Win 7 desktop (windows not PE) I have ran \\servername\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs, and select the capture TS from the options. The Win 7 build runs sys prep and reboots the pc and kicks it into Win PE to prepare it for capture. Nothing is captured of course and it gives me 2 errors and 1 warning which are:

Warning- Unable to validation connectiuon because a black UNC was specified. Error creating an imagge of drive d: rc=2

ZTI error- NON -zero return code by ZTIbackup, rc=2.

When i created the capture TS with-in MDT I was never ask to create or provide a UNC. I am totaly lost, has anyone used MDT 2010 capture only TS and had sucess with it?

thanks All

• 2 weeks later...

I am also getting the same blank UNC error. Any luck in figuring out what that was?

I am surprised I haven't found a straight forward guide of setting up a custom image, firing off litetouch.vbs to caprture/sysprep it the network, and then setting WDS/LiteTouch to push it back down to new machines.

What seemed to be an easy setup, sysprep.exe, ghost up and ghost down procedure sure has gotten complicated : )

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I think I found solution for this error.

All credits are for Johan Arwidmark for his "Capture only Task Sequence for MDT 2008 (Lite Touch)"

I have added two new Task sequences after Set Phase

1.Set Image Folder >Task sequence Variable-"ComputerBackupLocation" ->Value \\server\Distribution$\Captures

2.Set Image Name >Task sequence variable - "BackupFile" -> Value ImageName.wim

Looks like there is bug in CaptureOnly.xml

Cheers

Vinnie