Backing Up Network Drives and Mapping Network Drives

I would like to map, reconfigure, disconnect, backup, and restore network drives without using "Map Network Drive..." or "Disconnect Network Drive..." Windows dialogue boxes.

An example of reconfiguration would be: changing the login information (username/password) used to connect the network drive.

I would appreciate responses with methods or tools to map, reconfigure, disconnect, backup, and restore network drives.

If the mapping, reconfiguring, disconnecting, backing up, and restoring can be also done unattended, I would like to know how.

Any other comments, questions, etc. are welcome.

Will the "net use" windows command work for what you require to do. This can be placed in batch files,login scripts etc..

The syntax of this command is:

NET USE

[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]

[/uSER:[domainname\]username]

[/uSER:[dotted domain name\]username]

[/uSER:[username@dotted domain name]

[/sMARTCARD]

[/sAVECRED]

[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

With this you can map your drive, set re-connect at logon and disconnect your drive.

:whistle:

I use a small tool for that: NetSetMan

It is fully portable and stores it`s settings in an ini-file in the programfolder.

It can do a lot more things than mapping drives - I set my IP-Adress and printer with it too.

Edited by g-force

I use a small tool for that: NetSetMan

It is fully portable and stores it`s settings in an ini-file in the programfolder.

It can do a lot more things than mapping drives - I set my IP-Adress and printer with it too.

Your link appears to be defective. I am guessing you meant to refer to:

http://www.netsetman.com/index.php?s=nsm

I shall try NetSetMan 2.6.0.

By "set my...printer", do you mean defining/installing a printer? It would be useful if the application could define printers for a user, but not for all users (Windows 2000/XP does not provide any easy way to do it).