Dell Vostro with Vista Internet Explorer randomly won't show web p

Really odd problem. I've been given a laptop to fix, with this strange networking issue. It runs Windows Vista, Service Pack 1.

Occasionally, when browsing with IE (7 or 8, it didn't seem to make a difference) the connection just stops and the page cannot be displayed error comes up. I ran a continuous ping on google, and while I lost my IE, the pings to google kept going, telling me it was an IE issue only. The odd thing is, it didn't seem to happen much on our office's ethernet, but happens a lot on my home wireless, and I know it's not my connection a) because it's reliable and B) obviously because the client reported it to us.

What I have tried:

Upgrading IE 7 to 8.

Making sure Windows is up to date.

Taking out some weird DNS addresses in wireless connection (made no difference)

Reset IE to defaults.

Reset Windows Firewall to defaults.

Check that there are no automatic configuration LAN settings in IE options.

Flushed DNS cache.

Scan with malwarebytes and found nothing (as I suspected I would)

I want to believe that it's a driver issue because that's an easy-ish thing to fix, but if it were, I highly doubt my continuous ping to Google would be consistent while IE browsing isn't. I have a feeling there's an update coming out which has botched IE, because also one of our other clients, a school, has been having this problem with a large group of machines on IE 6, 7 and 8, for some time now.

the client needs this laptop back by tomorrow and I don't like disappointing people. Any suggestions?

Ping uses ICMP, web browsing uses HTTP over 80 or HTTPS over 443. I've seen issues where antivirus and firewalls have caused problems on the standard ports whilst ICMP was unaffected. I've also seen crappy wireless drivers do this as well, for what it's worth. It's obviously not a DNS problem, but unless you can install Vista SP1 (or SP2) with a clean IE and repro, it'll fall down on drivers or add-ins (or hooked BHOs or shell extensions) causing the problem in IE.

I'm assuming this doesn't repro in another browser?