Automate Ghost Backup

benaw

I image and restore my system-partition with the DOS version of Norton Ghost 2003 from an unattended boot-floppy...

If interrested, then here's the instructions for making such an unattended boot-floppy or boot-cd:

Make a Norton Ghost boot-floppy from the GUI of Norton Ghost 2003(latest build is build 793), and uninstall Norton Ghost 2003 afterwards(i simply restore my system-partition back instead).

Use an app like WinImage, to extract the boot-floppy into a boot image and open the image afterwards.

The boot image is based on PC-DOS, so add an empty file named '_BOOT_HD.NOZ' to it, which will give you a "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" option during startup.

I also move ghost.exe into the root of the image instead of having it in the 'ghost' folder, and then i delete the 'ghost' folder afterwards.

Now make a file named autoexec.bat with the following, and add it to the image(and overwrite the old one):

@echo off
cls
echo.
echo 1. Backup
echo 2. Restore
echo.
choice /c:12 /n
cls
echo.
echo Loading...
if errorlevel 2 ghost.exe -clone,mode=pload,src=1:2\Backup\image.gho:1,dst=1:1 -sure -rb
ghost.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=1:2\Backup\image.gho -sure -rb

Then write the image to a floppy with e.g. WinImage, or to a CD-R with e.g. ImgBurn under 'Build mode > Advanced > Bootable disc', and when you then boot from the boot-floppy or boot-CD, then press any key when the "press any key to boot from CD or DVD" message appears, and then press 1 to unattended image your system-partition to D:\Backup\IMAGE.GHO(it's overwritten if present) and auto-reboot, or press 2 to unattended restore D:\Backup\IMAGE.GHO onto your system-partition and auto-reboot.

Change the image path to your own liking...

Edited by Martin H