slipstream drivers for a SATA Drive: nlite fails

komplex

Can someone please help me!

I am trying to slipstream drivers for a SATA Drive onto a newly burned Windows XP CD.

I have the Windows Cd, and I'm using the nlite method.

I go through all the steps and when I start the integrating process in Nlite it seems to be going fine.

However, always around half-way through, Nlite crashes. It says it needs to close, it's encountered an error.

Can someone please tell me an alternative way to do this, or maybe explain why the nlite method won't work :(

I want to install XP on a new machine that has Linux Ubuntu. If I do manage to get a CD made with drivers, how easy is it to install XP on the new machine? I tried putting in the XP setup CD without drivers just to see what I would have to do but I can't boot from the CD or even figure out how to go about removing ubuntu. I couldn't delete partitions through the gparted partition manager.

But my real problem now is making this XP Cd with drivers. I wish nlite would work for me..

komplex, plenty of people have had good success with nLite and SATA drivers (main reason I came here in the first pace, no floppy in my next build). To get at your error we need some detail. Please post screen shot(s) of any and all errors you are getting. Do you have .NET Framework installed (at least 2.0)? What kind of OS are you running under? What is the source of your copy of Windows. Please note the forum rules which prohibit the discussion of copies of SW that is not legal with a legal key. When you say you can't boot from your Windows CD, what error if any do you get? How was the CD made/obtained? I have no experience with Linux, so can't rally answer your questions there, but I would assume you should be able to boot and install Windows. Have you got the BIOS set properly for booting from your optical drive? An alternative to nLite is an Unattended installation. The Guide link is at the top of the forum pages. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I failed to ask the obvious questions: What nLite version are you using and where did you get it? Answers: 1.4.9.1 and here.

Edited by johnhc

If you are extremely detail oriented, you can follow this process I wrote for Win 2000 for manual integration. It's dead easy if the Windows installation process makes sense to you. If you are unfamiliar with how Windows loads device drivers at install time, though, it's probably not for you.

Also, dual booting XP and Linux is going to cost you a bit of effort, just so you know. Neither installer is "aware" of the other, so although it is do-able, it is not an automatic process. (I'm guessing you probably knew this)