Is vLite the one?

totalrecall

I'm using Vista Ulti x64, and I just want to remove some "huge" components like Media Center from the installed OS. Can I use vLite for this purpose? If so, why do I need to have the Vista Installation files present on the hdd? And why do I need those iso image driver just to start the application?

Smallest Vista size? Ok then:

Install Vista Home Basic

DON'T install .net 3.5 or 4!

Disable hibernation file creation Mine was 4+ gigs

To disable hibernation proceed as follows:

1/ Click Start followed by All Programs and then Accessories

2/ on the Accessories menu Right Click on the Command Prompt

3/ from the drop down menu, Click on the Run Administrator option

4/ The Command Prompt window will now open

5/ At the command prompt type: powercfg -H off (Then reboot and delete the hiberfile.sys file at the systemroot)

Keep the pagefile down to a small size

(Set it to a static size, since your running 64 bit I am assuming you have over 4 gigs ram, so say 1 gig just for those apps that b*tch without it)

Really thats the best way.

I will do some tests and see if I can crunch some numbers.

P.S. Think about if you really NEED 64 bit. It is MUCH larger.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Smallest Vista size? Ok then:

Install Vista Home Basic

DON'T install .net 3.5 or 4!

Disable hibernation file creation Mine was 4+ gigs

To disable hibernation proceed as follows:

1/ Click Start followed by All Programs and then Accessories

2/ on the Accessories menu Right Click on the Command Prompt

3/ from the drop down menu, Click on the Run Administrator option

4/ The Command Prompt window will now open

5/ At the command prompt type: powercfg -H off

Keep the pagefile down to a small size

(Set it to a static size, since your running 64 bit I am assuming you have over 4 gigs ram, so say 1 gig just for those apps that b***h without it)

Really thats the bast way.

I will do some tests and see if I can crunch some numbers.

P.S. Think about if you really NEED 64 bit. It is MUCH larger.

Thanks again, Kelsenellenelvian.

But for the sakes of misery, the Vista is installed and so are many programs...

Hib is always off for me, 6GB ram :sneaky:

I have actually written a bat file to turn hib on/off.

.Net 3.5 update fails, thank GOD :rolleyes:

Using about 1GB ram-disk, all temp files reside there, and so is the page file (16MB) which is not used by the system.

So, M$ has done a perfect job not letting ppl remove the ultimate components ...

How many space is needed for Win7?

no, they just removed some components and drivers. The fewer memory usage result in the triggered services which only runs when several events occur. But Win7 will also grow extremely fast when the first Updates and the Sp1 will be released, because MS closed my bug reports for the wrong servicing stack behavior with the comment "by design".

no, they just removed some components and drivers. The fewer memory usage result in the triggered services which only runs when several events occur. But Win7 will also grow extremely fast when the first Updates and the Sp1 will be released, because MS closed my bug reports for the wrong servicing stack behavior with the comment "by design".

Actually Win7 memory usage is lower for one more reason compared to Vista:

The graphical data is now stored only in videomemory(on graphics card).In Vista the same data was held both in vidmem and system mem(identical).Now that win7 does not do that the sysmem usage is lower.

So how much space can I save by removing the above-mentioned components and drivers?

And why do I have to go through all the painful steps (not yet through actually) for doing just that? Sigh!!

Edited by totalrecall

you can't use vLite to remove components of a running OS.

the WAIK is needed to get the WIM driver. This is needed to mount the install.wim into a folder on your HDD.

When you run vLite you can see inside the statusbar how much space you will save.