Time to upgrade computers at work.

factory909

Our agreement to be incompliant with state, our company has to upgrade a minimum of 6 computers a year. I have picked out the 6 computers that we are going to replace. We buy all of our equipment from Dell, and I have picked out 2 that I think will be more then ok for what we do. Dell Optiplex 740's and 760's are on the list to purchase. All the end user needs a computer for is a network application that pulls data from a database which is on our servers. Other then that application and MS Office, that is all that is ran around here. The only difference in the 740's and the 760's are the chips...the 740's have AMD Athlon 64s and the 760s have Intel dual core. The 740's are around $140 cheaper. Will the chip difference make a bit of difference with just these two apps running. Oh yeah, each computer is configured with 3gb of ram and 160gb hard drives, and a downgrade option to Windows XP Pro. thanks

from my experiences, I doubt you would see a noticeable difference utilizing the systems as described. If cost is driving the train I would definitely call their sales directly and see what kind of deals they would give you, let the sales person browse all the form factors with your specs. Our rep usually has a little leeway on the price and has thrown in free external sd/usb/accesscard readers in the past.