$OEM$ Not Copying To Install HDD

during my install, the files/folders under $OEM$ are not copying over to my install HDD

i'm using an XP install

i know part of it is working because after the first reboot the RunOnceEx commands attempt to run...however, all i get is "Windows cannot find 'c:]install\Firefox_Setup.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To Search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search", etc...every app i have in the RunOnceEx file does the same thing

i don't have a cleanup.cmd function so i know my files should still be on C:\install, etc

the RunOnceEx.cmd file does what it's supposed to do...i just can't get the actual files to copy over```

i'm using nLite 1.4.9.1 to create my .iso that i'm using with VMWare to test my setup

any help would be appreciated

tyia,

ESM69

i didn't have the double-quotes, so i added them and just re-tested...same thing, nothing is copied over

also just noticed that it's adding some gibberish at the end of my hostname and the workgroup is not what it's supposed to be

"erik-f3f08c8622"

not sure what's up with that

*sigh*

thanks for the help,

E--

here's the first part of my winnt.sif:

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

FileSystem=*

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall="Yes"

UnattendedSWitch="yes"

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

WaitForReboot="No"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Edited by ESM69

Where are you placing the $OEM$ folder in relation to the i386 folder? Can you highlight the $OEM$ folder in explorer, press * so all sub-folders expand and then take and upload screenshot of it?

Where are you placing the $OEM$ folder in relation to the i386 folder? Can you highlight the $OEM$ folder in explorer, press * so all sub-folders expand and then take and upload screenshot of it?

$oem$ is at the root of my install, same level as i386, etc

062509.jpg

stupid thing is, a few years ago (2-3) i had this working but didn't keep up with it...starting over now and nothing's workin

thanks for the help

E--

edit: the folder i'm working from is the "XP_SP3_062509" folder

Edited by ESM69

There's 2 lastsession.inis in that screenshot. Did you run nlite twice against the same source? If so, that could be your problem. You gotta start with a clean untouched source every time you run nlite.

There's 2 lastsession.inis in that screenshot. Did you run nlite twice against the same source? If so, that could be your problem. You gotta start with a clean untouched source every time you run nlite.

i'll delete those files and try it again

thanks,

E--

edit: nope, same thing

Edited by ESM69

It's not just those files. Did you delete the XP_SP3_062509 folder or at a minimum the i386 folder?

Also what is the structure inside the $oem$ folder...

Can you highlight the $OEM$ folder in explorer, press * so all sub-folders expand and then take and upload screenshot of it?

i added a 'pause' to my RunOnceEx.cmd file and found that cmdow is not being copied to \windows\system32...i just did a search of my "c:\" (on VM pc) and cmdow is definitely nowhere to be found...i'm not sure if cmdow not getting copied over is my main problem or something else

anyhow, what i've been doing is to use that XP_SP3_Base to make a .iso file and tested that it loaded in VM Machine and that i hade that "base install"

then, i unzipped that .iso file to XP_SP3_062509 so i could mess around with my "source" data and if/when i screwed things up, i could just go back to my XP_SP3_Base main source and start again

when i did this in the past, i remember being able to update my current source and just roll on...i'm not sure if i used nLite or what back then...i don't recall having to delete anything, etc

also, here's the $OEM$ folder structure you asked about:

$OEM$ folder:

062509.jpg

$OEM$\$$\System32 folder:

062509.jpg

i really appreciate your feedback, -X-

E--

The structure looks fine.

Is it only cmdow now that's not being copied over? Can you check that it actually exists on the ISO? cmdow is flagged as a threat by antivirus detectors and maybe it's being blocked somehow if you're running av.

The structure looks fine.

Is it only cmdow now that's not being copied over? Can you check that it actually exists on the ISO? cmdow is flagged as a threat by antivirus detectors and maybe it's being blocked somehow if you're running av.

no, nothing is being copied over...the RunOnceEx.cmd executes and sets up the registry for the first reboot; but that's it

as for an av, i am turning it off at the moment when i'm doing these...i've another problem with my OS which is why i'm trying to get this back up

lastly, below is the snapshot from within the .iso file showing my $OEM$ folders and contents

$OEM$\$$\System32:

062509z.jpg

$OEM$\$1\Install (ignore the cleanup.cmd and cmdow.exe in this folder...i'm not calling the cleanup.cmd file and it was late last night - or early this morning - and i wasn't paying attn to the fact that i put a copy of cmdow.exe in this folder too :blushing: )

36580983.jpg

gotta figure out why nothing is copying over :wacko:

thanks again

E--

Well don't think I can offer any more ideas. Hopefully someone else may have some. You might want to post your Last Session.ini and winnt.sif (remove the key first).

If you figure it out by yourself, let me know what it was.

Good luck :)

Edited by -X-

for giggles, here is my winnt.sif

something just occured to me that way back when i wasn't doing a "fullanattended" install...i think i left it so i had to enter a pc name, workgroup, and maybe a couple other values

maybe i'll give that a try and see what it gets

otherwise, blah, i'll just run the installs from the disc since the files will be there...just wanted to not have to worry about the few basic security items

question: does casing matter...does "A" = "a"?, etc

oh well, thanks anyhow,

E--

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

FileSystem=*

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall="Yes"

UnattendedSWitch="yes"

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

WaitForReboot="No"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="y"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=10

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=*

FullName="Erik"

OrgName="x"

ComputerName=Erik

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=x

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

question, does it matter if i create my winnt.sif through the SP2 Deploy Tools versus nLite if i'm using nLite to create the .iso?

i can't imagine it would as a text file is a text file is a text file; but that question just popped into my head

thanks,

E--

No, shouldn't matter. nLite sometimes ignores some parts of winnt.sif and I think this might be a the possible reason. In nLites unattended section what are you choosing for unattended mode? If it's prompt repairs, that's it I think. I was running some test to confirm that $OEM$ contents get copied over at the end of text mode and they didn't copy with prompt repair.

We got your winnt.sif now all we need is your Last Session.ini. Can you please attach it?