Won't boot, says verification of know dll failed. Help!

Hello everyone,

I need some crazy help here or my wife will lose 3 weeks of work on a book she's writing.

I recently created a RAID stripe and have had it working great for a couple months. I wanted to add a third HDD to the system the other day as a backup/scratch drive. I plugged it in and booted up to a checkdisk screen that went nuts replacing files and finally rebooted on its own....to a BSOD that says "Verification of a known dll failed" It doesn't say which dll however.

It might help to know that the 3rd drive I tried to install did have an old version of windows 32 OS on it, but I was going to format it away once the computer booted, but it never did.

I looked around for a few hours and learned about the recovery console, but sadly my XP64 cd is not showing me the recovery console as an option when I boot from it. Is there anyway to get the recovery console up and running without the CD? I read some stuff about bootable USB drives, but I'm confused about them.

If I boot off a USB drive with a fresh installation of windows, then how could I fix my original installation on my hard drives? Wouldn't I just be manipulating the system files on the USB drive?

I saw some info also about the MBR being ruined, but I don't know how to restore that either. I'd consider myself to be pretty experienced with troubleshooting computer problems, but this one has me stumped. I can follow instructions very well. Any help is much appreciated.